Is This An Iris?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Amherstburg+Gone+Crazy+062.JPG

I took this photo the other day in Windsor Ontario and need help identifying it. I thought it was an iris but now I'm not so sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's hard to tell from the photo; do you have any images that are more close up on the flowers? I've only seen irises grow as a single flower on a single stem; these blooms appear to be in a cluster of sorts. They also look a bit like lilies or even ginger; really hard to tell.

Reaction score
This one looks more like a canna lily. The leaves of this plant are broader than the iris. However, the base of the flower makes me believe that it is canna lily. The grow in bunches. These are beautiful flowers and come in varieties of colors and shapes.
Here is a picture of a red canna lily to help you identify the plant
Early+morning+ride+June+10+042.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
This one looks more like a canna lily. The leaves of this plant are broader than the iris. However, the base of the flower makes me believe that it is canna lily. The grow in bunches. These are beautiful flowers and come in varieties of colors and shapes.
Here is a picture of a red canna lily to help you identify the plant
Early+morning+ride+June+10+042.JPG
Actually this flower was in bunches and after reading your post, I went online and got close up images of the calla lily and you are right. Its amazing how much I love to photograph flowers but I am terrible at recognizing what they are. I really wish the parks in our area would label their beautiful flowers. Thanks so much for your help :)

Reaction score
Actually this flower was in bunches and after reading your post, I went online and got close up images of the calla lily and you are right. Its amazing how much I love to photograph flowers but I am terrible at recognizing what they are. I really wish the parks in our area would label their beautiful flowers. Thanks so much for your help :)

Glad to help. I love to identify plants and learn more about them, I pester gardeners when I see plants whose name I am unaware of. :) I really love plants and I need to know LOL .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This reminds me of a stroll I took through the neighborhood recently with an artist acquaintance of mine who lives a few blocks away and around the corner. As we passed different houses and looked at what was growing in people's yards, she would point out a plant or other that I had never known the name of and vice versa. We got some exercise and we each learned something, lol.

There is a variety of cannas that grows here that is almost invasive. It spreads so quickly and most people don't like it, but it attracts hummingbirds so I love it! I had planted some in the backyard when I was young, but my grandmother got rid of them. I think I'll get some more and keep them in containers this time to control the spreading.

My mom has them in her yard and they are driving her crazy, lol (the spreading). They self seed and easily and need very little care.

2772_pd1741898_2.jpg

Reaction score
It definitely resembles something like a yellow Iris, but it's hard to tell without seeing the markings in the center. The petals certainly resemble those of an Iris. Do you have any images of the inside? Beautiful picture, by the way! I love how it's focused in directly on he flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
It definitely resembles something like a yellow Iris, but it's hard to tell without seeing the markings in the center. The petals certainly resemble those of an Iris. Do you have any images of the inside? Beautiful picture, by the way! I love how it's focused in directly on he flower.
Actually that is the only photo I took of it. Generally I take a couple from different angles but a bee got my attention and I started following him around and completely forgot this this lovely bloom... lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to know the identification of this gorgeous flower. I wouldn't be able to tell that they are cala lily as I am used to see the normal ones. This is so fancy and have more blooms than the regular cala lily.

Ask a Question