Japanese iris foliage drooping and turning yellow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I got three Japanese cascade spice irises like a month ago and planted it in a location that gets full sun. I water them pretty much almost everyday. But some of the foliage is drooping and snapping off and a few of the foliage is turning yellow..not a lot but a few. The iris is right about to bloom too. The flower bud is growing. So what may be the problem? I looked online everywhere but could not find the right answer. Could I be overwatering it? Too much sun? The highest foliage is about 2 feet tall right now. I also have some of the roots exposed out of the ground because I heard irises don't like being planted too deep. Also, I don't mulch directly on the rhizomes either, I give a distance like 3-4 inches from the rootball although it may not look like it in the picture
foBV3ln.jpg
[/IMG]
foBV3ln.jpg
[/IMG]
foBV3ln.jpg

AWZB1g3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh and also I forgot to mention that the second image, I snapped off the foliage with the yellow, thats why it looks cut if you were wondering.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How long has it been since it rained on them?

Just a hunch, Heruga, but I think you're over-watering it. Mulch helps hold moisture in the soil... And you're watering every day?!

Leave it alone for a week. It won't fix the yellowing leaves, but it might stop any more from turning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How long has it been since it rained on them?

Just a hunch, Heruga, but I think you're over-watering it. Mulch helps hold moisture in the soil... And you're watering every day?!

Leave it alone for a week. It won't fix the yellowing leaves, but it might stop any more from turning.
It last rained like early last week I think. But the label says this iris needs constant moisture. Its different from other irises where these Japanese ones actually do well by ponds and any water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
This Iris has to be treated like a 'Flag' Iris Heruga. They will never grow well in their current position as they prefer edges of ponds or boggy areas where their roots will be kept permanently moist. Although they prefer full sun like most Iris, is there anywhere else that you can plant them to help them thrive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This Iris has to be treated like a 'Flag' Iris Heruga. They will never grow well in their current position as they prefer edges of ponds or boggy areas where their roots will be kept permanently moist. Although they prefer full sun like most Iris, is there anywhere else that you can plant them to help them thrive.
Well we do have 2 ponds in our backyard but it doesn't get full sun. And all my bamboos, hostas and Japanese painted ferns are by the ponds so there is no space for any other plants to be planted there. So wait, basically this iris needs constant watering then? Would it make sense to water it 3 times a day then?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but constant watering won't help their situation because you will be washing any nutrients out of the soil, which is possibly why they are yellowing now. If they are given the right site they will take in the nutrients they need from the soil without it being washed away. Feeding them will make them put on foliage growth and inhibit flowering. Most Irises will survive in partial shade as long as they get a few hours sun a day. I grow a few different dwarf Irises and they are happy with limited sunshine. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, but constant watering won't help their situation because you will be washing any nutrients out of the soil, which is possibly why they are yellowing now. If they are given the right site they will take in the nutrients they need from the soil without it being washed away. Feeding them will make them put on foliage growth and inhibit flowering. Most Irises will survive in partial shade as long as they get a few hours sun a day. I grow a few different dwarf Irises and they are happy with limited sunshine. :)
Hm alright... well I guess I should get rid of them after they finish blooming and replace them with another plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It seems a shame to get rid of them all. Would you have a space for just one by your ponds? Or perhaps you could move one of your other plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It seems a shame to get rid of them all. Would you have a space for just one by your ponds? Or perhaps you could move one of your other plants?
Well yea considering they were expensive at 15$ each but my pond really isn't a good idea. I can move my hostas but that place gets like shade almost all day. Probably like 1 hour of sunlight a day or even dappled sunlight. Oh well, thats too bad. I should've known before I bought these plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sorry you've lost out with the plants Heruga, gardening is never straight forward. Perhaps you can sell them locally. :)
Well I may just give it away to someone so it wouldn't be a complete waste lol. Btw this is off topic but what flowers would look good in that spot where the irises are now? Behind it is the Japanese black pine thunderhead and it gets to around 10 ft but the bed is a lot bigger than what it looks like so I was thinking of adding more flowers. And as you can see in the front there is a daffodil in dormancy. Sorry for asking, I'm new to gardening so I don't know what goes good where :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Btw this is off topic but what flowers would look good in that spot where the irises are now?

I wish I could help with this but I know very little about plants in America and am learning myself as a member of this forum. :) I have a son living in Ohio and a daughter living in Canada so it will help if I can learn about plants there to help them with their issues.

You can remove the dead leaves of the Daffodils now, they are left to die down naturally as at the same time they take in nutrients for the bulbs to start again next spring. Once dead they can be either pulled out gently or cut down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wish I could help with this but I know very little about plants in America and am learning myself as a member of this forum. :) I have a son living in Ohio and a daughter living in Canada so it will help if I can learn about plants there to help them with their issues.

You can remove the dead leaves of the Daffodils now, they are left to die down naturally as at the same time they take in nutrients for the bulbs to start again next spring. Once dead they can be either pulled out gently or cut down.
Oh thats right.. I didn't realize your country flag. But yea I pulled most of it by now actually. Thanks :)

Ask a Question