Iris blooms per scape

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Found this Iris a few years back which I believe to be wild, wondering if I have something special here as I've never seen an Iris with 5 blooms per scape. All blooming at once yet. (last one still hasn't opened yet but confident that it will)

IMG_20170610_171353.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
This is quite an unusual Iris, have seen it before somewhere, if you look up national Iris collection in your country you should be able to identify it. I would be interested to know what variety it is if you do..

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant pictured in the OP is a beautiful hybrid cultivar of a Bearded Iris (Iris x germanica cv.).
While lovely, its appearance is within the normal range of variation for hybrid Bearded Iris.

While Bearded Iris may often long persist as garden waifs, they are not a wild or native plants in Canada.
All Rhizomatous Bearded Iris (Iris, Subgenus Iris, Section Iris) are native to Europe, Asia, northern Africa or Mediterranean islands.

The general color pattern of this Iris is known as 'Amoena' (white or pale standards with darker falls).

There are several old cultivars: Iris x 'Mrs. Andrist' (1919) and Iris x 'Rhein Nixe' (1910) which look a little like the Iris pictured above.
Of course there are many other similar cultivars of which I am unaware.

Ask a Question