Question about Japanese iris ensata

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I bought 3 of them 2 months back and they bloomed pretty well but each individual flower only bloomed for like 2 days. Each iris had like 3 flowers in total, blooming one after another. The finished flowers then eventually started to rot and mold. Is this normal? My main question though is how long usually Japanese irises are in bloom for? Isn't 2 days too short?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They certainly do not last for long, but generally mine stay reasonable for about a week. The drier their position and the amount of sun on the flowers would shorten their lives as would pollination by whatever does it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh but I thought they needed full sun? Thats what it says everywhere about these irises.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they like sun, but they also like damp soil. So the drier the position, the less sun they can take. Mine are actually growing in the shallow water at the edge of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes they like sun, but they also like damp soil. So the drier the position, the less sun they can take. Mine are actually growing in the shallow water at the edge of the pond.
Oh thats right, they like wet conditions. I actually recently transplanted them from a dry area to a muggy soil area so hopefully next year they will bloom longer.

Ask a Question