Is it too late to buy roses for containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal, thank you so much for your kind words, much appreciated. I became a rose lover before my marriage and up until the RNRS recently went into administration, I was a member. Also I have been a Fellow/member sice the 1960's of the RHS. My friend the late Supt of Londons Regents Park. 1964 Val and I moved into a council maisonette. I am still here. Having cleaned the tip of a garden up, I bought my first roses from Parkers, I still have two of those left now. Most recent I placed an order with Harkness. Sadly my memories are not good. I have dealt with Styles and some of the cheapy firms that are British based but continentally owned.
Peter Beales remains a very good firm. Such a sad story to that family. Peter's wife died and then Peter soon followed, then closely followed by Amanda, such a shock to the rose world. I ordered some older classic roses from Peter, very fast service. Sadly a favourite of mine, Super Star got damaged in transit. Within a week, I had placed my first order, rec'd and mentioned damage plant, by return of post I had a new Super Star. I can't sing their praises enough.
Yes I have purchased several of David Austins roses. Once again great plants but you pay a lot for the name. Never mind. A great man in the world of roses.

During my time working for the MOD. The driver from BOC, British Oxygen Company, who delivered medical gases to this military hospital stopped by the greenhouses. Morning gardener. A lot of my work mates grow roses, can you supply. Believe it or not but in those days Government depts held ont the cash bags. I'd been head hunted for this post and it was agreed that provided the gardens wre kept in trim, what I could make on the side was mine.

So I said yes to my new friend. Turns out his name is Alf. This was back in the late 1960's. During our conversation he mentioned a stall holder in Woolwich market. I knew this chap and his wife. Stan Mills. Alf insisted that I didn't buy from him. Soon the orders rolled in. Alf is still wih us and lives in the next street to my daughter Amanda. He always mentions the rosed bought fom me, they are still going strong. Yes I got them fro Stan Mills. I added one shilling to each and made a good profit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's an interesting life you've had Mike. :)

I've not bought roses from Peter Beale's, probably because I've been happy with my previous suppliers. I moved house nine months ago and now live in a rural area. The garden here has to blend in with it's surroundings so the few roses I intend to plant this time will have a more natural look. I've started with planting four Rugosa's (Alba) recently and intend to have others with a naturally sprawling habit. I won't be having a perfectly groomed rose bed as in my last garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Mike for your contribution and my condolences too. We have to harbour the good memories; and I am sure you have many. My Lady is still in full-care and clearly she won't be coming home again. It's mostly because of Jean that I have decided to return to gardening, and roses. I have just taken delivery of Three roses to start with. 'Lady of Shalott', 'The Lady Gardener' and 'Sir John Betjeman'. Three fine, healthy plants. And the scent from 'The Lady Gardener' is an absolute knockout. I can't describe the scent, but this one rose has smothered my patio with its perfume; I get a whiff as soon as I turn the corner from my yard. Of course the flower is just as gorgeous.
I also have three Ena Harkness bare-root on order, but today I discovered a single rose rowing in poor soil ext to the lawn which surrounds my house. I think Jean must have put it there. I am going to keep an eye on it and maybe move it in the autumn. Who knows, it might be the missing Ena Harkness! :)

Incidentally, I think our lives must have been very similar. I joined the RN in 1954 as a 15 year-old. And a colourful existence ensued thereafter! Now I must get on and make a container for my roses! My son is going to make a raised bed for more; as soon as he can eradicate the Bryony and the Brambles!

Cheers Mike,

Regards
Wobbly-John ;)

PS I have two of these containers: I'd forgotten about hem and they have to be drilled for drainage... Do you think they will be big enough. For The Lady Gardener and Sir John Betjemen?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Gard...eywords=victorian+garden+and+lighting+company

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to here of the news of your wife John. I hope she is reasonably well even though she is in full time care. Your garden and roses will certainly bring you some joy, especially with the glorious scents wafting around you. :)

Your pots are still a little short height-wise but I think you will get away with them. Definitely with 'Sir John Betjeman' as it's one of the smaller roses at just over 3ft, but I'm not so sure about 'The Lady Gardener'. It has an average height of 4-5ft and it may struggle. I can only suggest that you try them both and see if they thrive. Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Sheal. That's so much appreciated.

I am hoping Number-One Son can come over on Saturday to help me finish off the platform in front of my porch. I have the roses bought and ready to go into the big pots. I chose 'Dame Judi Dench', 'Sir John Betjeman' and 'Summer Song' for this position. 'Lady of Shalott' will be going in the border beside my hard-standing, along with 'The Lady Gardener' and 'Peace'. I know almost every rose lover has 'Peace', but so what! It is a lovely rose. I hope it likes my soil!

PS. I've found some lovely containers too; 25 inches deep, glazed terracotta. I shall have to get them in stages! They are £48.00 each! Ho-Hum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A lovely choice of roses!

I know almost every rose lover has 'Peace', but so what!

'Peace' is still very much a popular rose and surprisingly one I've not owned - as lovely as it is. Roses are adaptable to most soils, but some will need a little more tlc than others. Any rose lover is prepared for that I think. :)

Hmmm, hopefully we'll see some pictures of your roses when they are settled into their new pots. It's only money, so go on and treat yourself. ;)

Ask a Question