Am I too late to trim back yew bushes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had trimmed them a bit in late fall, but this spring I wanted to trim them down about 6-8" shorter. When they start their growth shoots, it blocks the easy movement of the casement windows they're right under. But I just noticed there are tiny bright green tips everywhere for new growth.

Did I miss my chance to prune them shorter for the season or can I still safely do it without killing all new growth for the season? I'm in the Chicago area, where we've had unseasonably warmer weather all winter and into spring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with Dr. Case :)
However, you can cut yews as hard back as you like.....they will respond without any problems. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. Now I just have to wait out until it quits raining here, hopefully one day next week I can do it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are right ChanellG ...pruning in winter wont harm yews but they will sulk and look sad until spring ;). Spring is best for rapid recovery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a helpful link, thanks. I at least knew about not risking any new growth coming up just before winter by pruning when it was still warm enough for any new growth to start, that the new shoots wouldn't survive the winter and would die off. So because of our unseasonably warmer weather these past months, I waited well into December before I pruned them back a bit in the fall.

I probably should have trimmed them back the extra 8" then and saved myself the hassle of doing it again so soon.

Ask a Question