Is it too late to start seeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I an did intro earlier this morning. I'm having trouble finding something that fits my "situation". Please keep in mind I'm new to gardening. I have only grown sunflowers from seeds sown directly into the ground and they did wonderful. This year, i decided to grow our flowers for the front yard from seed. I didn't realize the process should start indoors around January or February. I purchased seeds, seed starting mix, pete moss trays and even a small greenhouse. I did not sow directly into the ground. I put in the trays and put in my greenhouse. I understand they wont be ready for the ground for weeks, but i am more investing in next year. Do you think my plants will be too young by the time winter comes and not survive and come back next year? I am Maryland zone 7 and doing creeping thyme, lavender, daisies and candy tuft!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
How severe are your winters? It get's really bad here so some will make it through a winter and some won't. Covering the young perennials in mulch after they have died back right before winter might be all they need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! And Maryland has some of the most unpredictable winters. One year we were wearing shorts and flips flops at Christmas, the next we had a blizzard! I will be sure to lay mulch down this year. Thank you!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@KKosy87 Look at the instructions on the packets and you will find that you're not too late with some plants. Have a good look, you will be surprised. All you need is to find a shady area and if the packet says 20c, you might have difficulty if the temp is 25C. See if you can find a cool spot somewhere. We all have different microclimes in our garden, so look around and if you can find one, you can still go ahead. But I would say respect the instructions. Growers have done a lot of research into the instructions.

Ask a Question