Is it too late?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I am a little disappointed because, even though I planted lots of eggplant seeds back in March, none of them survived. I bought one at a nursery and it seemed like it was gonna die, but now it's growing and looks so much better. My problem is, I don't think I'm gonna have enough with one eggplant only, and it's not even the kind I like the most. Today I received some seeds in the mail. I'd like to start some if it's not too late here in Central Texas.

Here's a list the stuff I'd like to start if there's time. All arrived today, along with some coles for the winter:

Dill
Chamomille
Basil, Genovese and Large Leaf Italian
Eggplant, Pandora Striped and Turkish Orange
Pepper, Bird's Eye and Pepperoncini

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dill is a cool weather plant. Plant seeds about August 1 and set out when about 6" tall. Don't know about chamamille. Plant the eggplant seeds about June15 and set out about the end of July. On the peppers plant now and set out after 2 sets of true leaves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
When Chuck talks about Dill, he doesn't mean for you to sow the seeds in a tray or small pot, later to prick out and pot on.
You should sow your seeds in the pots where you want them to grow, as dill does not transplant well.

Even if it's too warm to grow outside, you can grow dill on a windowsill, all year round, as long as it isn't subjected to too much sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When Chuck talks about Dill, he doesn't mean for you to sow the seeds in a tray or small pot, later to prick out and pot on.
You should sow your seeds in the pots where you want them to grow, as dill does not transplant well.

Even if it's too warm to grow outside, you can grow dill on a windowsill, all year round, as long as it isn't subjected to too much sun.
Exactly right. I plant all of my herbs in 5 gallon buckets. I dump in an entire package of seeds and then thin when needed. FYI dill here will bolt when night time temperature lows hit the 80's. They just don't like it hot. Parsley is even worse. Basil on the other hand grows like crazy but it will slow down if not protected from the afternoon sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Out of all my herbs, parsley is the one that gets the shade the earliest, between 1 and 2 in the afternoon. Basil is next, but it still has a couple more hours of sun than parsley. Funny, 'cause I didn't do it on purpose :)

Ask a Question