Is it time to give up on my lilac trees?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love lilacs. About 5 years ago when I first started gardening, they were the first plants I bought. I bought two lilac trees about 5 feet tall from someone on Facebook who grew them in her yard (so not an established nursery).

I planted one in full sun and another in partial sun. The one in partial sun has robust greenery but has never flowered. The one in full sun has a handful of scrawny blooms at the very top each year. You can barely see them.

Is it possible that the trees are just duds and won’t be good bloomers regardless of what is done or is there something else I should try. I’m so jealous of everyone else’s lilacs!
30381F26-6668-470E-8935-116029ADEE7F.jpeg

Attachments

• 5FB79A02-D658-4B18-B55D-82A511F79B97.jpeg
    5FB79A02-D658-4B18-B55D-82A511F79B97.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its one of two things or both. One, you planted them too deep in the soil. Two, they do best in slightly alkaline soil and you have acidic soil. If you get a lot of rain every year then you probably have acidic soil and these trees don't do well in acidic soil. If you have acidic soil you have wonderful soil but these trees like slightly alkaline soil. 6.5 to 7.5 pH.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Would adding lime to the soil around the base of the tree help? If so, when should I add it?

2. If I planted the trees too deep (so weird that it would impact flowering but not the tree itself), could I dig them up and replant them? And, if I did this, would it take years for them to bloom again?

3. Would it help for me to cut off the top of the tree - the only part that does flower? Would that encourage blooms elsewhere in the tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kelbee this is a tough plant. It likes full sun and well drained soil. It doesn't want much feed - especially it won't want any nitrogen. Yours needs the top cutting off at the moment, and that dead looking branch too.
You can add some lime any time. The secret with lilac is the pruning. As soon as any flowers fade, prune back, because they make the buds for the following year very soon after the flowers have gone over. If the pruning is left any longer those new buds will be lost and there will be no flowers. If you have left them a while for any reason - don't prune.
The ones here are grown on very chalky soil, and to be honest, I haven't pruned mine at all recently (past couple of years or so) and they are all overgrown and flowering like mad.
Be patient this year with yours. Taking that top off will make the plant look much better.

Ask a Question