Newbie - lilac question

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone,

As a newbie to gardening wondering if anyone can help out with the following issue.

I purchased a miss Kim lilac tree at the beginning of spring. The tree was doing relatively well ( had quite a few blossoms). However the tree dramatically deteriorated over the past 2.5 weeks. I’ve been watering regularly, however there is no sign of improvement. Below are a few pictures of the tree. Couple of of observations:

1.) There are bumps all over the trunk and branches ( 1st picture)These are not present on other trees Ive seen in the neighborhood. Does this indicate a bacterial / fungal disease?

2.) The leafs have turned brown and are shrivelled.

E3726AEA-2B22-43E4-AA38-550BDFDF98D9.jpeg
E3726AEA-2B22-43E4-AA38-550BDFDF98D9.jpeg

Any insight/guidance would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice trunk pics. Even big trees try to put out "advantageous" roots/limbs/growth from the trunk when stressed and/or dying. Its a bad sign on a young tree. Those may not be fitting this description, but you have only shown us the leg of the elephant. Have you more pics? Context is key.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nice trunk pics. Even big trees try to put out "advantageous" roots/limbs/growth from the trunk when stressed and/or dying. Its a bad sign on a young tree. Those may not be fitting this description, but you have only shown us the leg of the elephant. Have you more pics? Context is key.
97F485D0-54F7-44F5-BF18-8E5ADC013489.jpeg
97F485D0-54F7-44F5-BF18-8E5ADC013489.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just added a picture of the tree. Enjoyed your “leg of the elephant “ line above.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I totally agree with @Mrsclem. Your tree will die if you leave those ties on. The ties have not allowed the trunk to swell as it grows, and has cut through the bark. Once the bark has been destroyed all the way around the trunk there is no way a tree will live above that deadly wound.
Rabbits will ''ring bark'' trees, causing their demise and the tight ties do the same thing. When you have removed the ties, if you let us see the resulting wound, we might be able to suggest what to do next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Also, since its a good eye day for me, a closer look shows standing water, and that plant likes a well drained soil. Is that normally that wet in that area?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Also, since its a good eye day for me, a closer look shows standing water, and that plant likes a well drained soil. Is that normally that wet in that area?
Good observation, oddly that area has been pooling for the past couple of weeks. Wonder if this could be a factor.....probably need to buy some more soil and fill that spot up. Can the tree be saved?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Good observation, oddly that area has been pooling for the past couple of weeks. Wonder if this could be a factor.....probably need to buy some more soil and fill that spot up. Can the tree be saved?
Also - the area is very wet (as a result of the pockets you noted). I wonder if an animal dug in the bed.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I totally agree with @Mrsclem. Your tree will die if you leave those ties on. The ties have not allowed the trunk to swell as it grows, and has cut through the bark. Once the bark has been destroyed all the way around the trunk there is no way a tree will live above that deadly wound.
Rabbits will ''ring bark'' trees, causing their demise and the tight ties do the same thing. When you have removed the ties, if you let us see the resulting wound, we might be able to suggest what to do next.
1DF47BC6-E1DE-4187-A0CC-2F3E049EBF8C.jpeg
B2911844-B05D-41D1-ADBF-B87A93A0647C.jpeg

I removed the wire as suggested and replaced with Velcro. Appreciate the suggestion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why did you put velcro on? This tree needs to breathe a bit.
1627513291361.png
If it really needs support at all, this should be sufficient - as shown. What is that white collar at the base/ground level for?
It is hard to tell how much damage there might be from your picture, but I think then the thing to do now is allow it to rest, check the amount of moisture as @Dirt Mechanic mentioned and hope it leafs up again by the spring. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lol. What really kills me is how roots breathe in oxygen but the above ground parts give off oxygen whilst breathing in CO2. I am still fuzzy headed about how that works. But I do know roots generally drown in water save those bell curve blowing lilies and other aquatic plants that are no relation to lilac. Where did lilacs first develop anyway? I have bought 2, and they are awaiting transplant into my garden. I am zone 8a USA Alabama so its hot, humid, and I swear it has been raining everyday, and every other day it has been more than 2 inches. Yet these younglings in their pots have sported a completely new set of growth all over, but if I sink them into that wet clay they will die like every hybrid rose I have ever planted out there

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I believe that Lilac originated in Europe in high altitudes, but of course I may well be wrong. The wonders of nature are amazing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actually I believe that Lilac originated in Europe in high altitudes, but of course I may well be wrong. The wonders of nature are amazing!
Would that brick wall absorb and release too much heat for a cool loving plant? Mine are resting in pots in semi or dappled shade and seem happy.

Ask a Question