Nursery Newbie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
Canada
Hey all!

I live in BC, on Vancouver Island, and I recently got a job at a nursery/greenhouse that sells outdoor perennials, annuals, trees, shrubs, etc. I have been working as a farmer for 5 years but I know almost nothing about gardening (aside from a brief stint as a landscaper). I can barely identify an iris, so I would qualify myself as an absolute beginner (though veggies, herbs, and some fruit trees I am passable with, when it comes to general knowledge).

My question is: do you know of any books or online resources that could help me learn the basics of ornamental plants/flowers/shrubs/trees? I need to learn their Latin names, general characteristics? Personally I am very interested in the history of cultivating plants, so if there's a historical aspect to the learning, I would consider it a bonus.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @BeeBB :) Congratulations on getting your new job. I spent years working in a nursery, propagating shrubs mostly - but fitting in all sorts of other work there too. It has to be the happiest time of my life, and the best possible job to have. I really hope you find it so too.

You will learn most and best just being with the plants, and hopefully you will be dealing with plants more than customers. The actual growing bit is the best.

A little book we find very useful is ''Gardener`s Latin'' it`s a Lexicon by Bill Neal, and if you learn the Latin it gives you all the information clues to the kind of plant you`re dealing with.

It is relatively easy also to gain information online. I daresay some of our other members here will have favourite reference books to suggest as well.

Let us know how it goes won`t you (y)

Ask a Question