Need advice for these young blackberries bought from the nursery

Reaction score
Country
United States
1.jpg

2.jpg

These are 1 to 2 year old "Thornfree" blackberries bought from the nursery: there's 30 of them.

I ordered them 1 month ago but the transporter first shipped them to the wrong state (sic) and now i'm stuck with them for the rest of the season.

The roots are plentiful but there's dried compacted soil on them and i suppose i need to take it off before planting in my garden.

What are my chances of success ? I'm planning on mulching with straw after putting them in the ground in order to retain some moisture.

Is watering my main problem now ?

Can i hope for them to survive the high temperatures ? Or should i put them in containers until next spring ?

Also, would some of my leftovers IBA rooting hormone be of any use ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to get those in the soil right away and don't worry about the old soil. Don't plant them too deep or below the soil line. You want just a little of the root flair above the soil. I try never to hold any new plants more than a day before planting to asure their succuss.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK.

How often should i water them ?

And is IBA rooting hormone a good idea ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to water after planting them when the top inch or two drys well. No need for rooting hormones because you have roots.

Ask a Question