Advice for grape vine bought from nursery

Reaction score
Country
United States

I've just bought these 2 grape vines (1.5 feet tall) from the nursery and wonder what would be the best action:

- either put them straight into my soil garden, and let them grow for the rest of the season (3 months of good weather left)

- transplant them into air pots/bags for root development by air pruning, take advantage of their mobility and keep them in the house during the autumn and winter months, and put them into the soil of my garden next spring.

Would the second option be worth the hassle ?

Thanks for your replies.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
They appear to be in very good shape. Of course, the sooner in the ground, the better. They need special care until they get some roots established...never let them dry out.

What type of grapes are they

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Neither would I try to propagate from them yet.
Give them a year of free, easy growth, removing all fruit next season.
(Well maybe let one bunch grow, just to see what they taste like.)
Where I live, grapes are mostly grown indoors, and I have 2 "Boskoop Glory" vines; one I planted 3 year ago, one I was given last autumn, by another allotmenteer who didn't want it!
Between them, they now take up one complete side of a 6m polytunnel, and I'm restricting the one which has been in three years, to twenty bunches (hopefully 50 next year).
Hopefully, you be enjoying grapes a-plenty very soon.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I am growing grapes in Climate zone 8b in Germany. In the first year they were providing 15 kg of fruits, even I cut away nearly half of it. These Fruits came from 3 grape plants. Now I have 11 plants all on the south side of my area. I installed a trellis 2.2 m high made out of stainless steel. So next year I expect a higher harvest of seedless grapes yellow, rose and dark blue. The basic fertilizer that I use, comes all from my dogs, additional I put Liquid fertilizer on the roots to provide minimum minerals like bor, Zink, magnesia...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Greece
In the picture I can see a chaotic mix of gras and other plants, which steel the food of that grapes. That will not work. The garden soil around Grapes must be CLEAN !! Grapes want a lot of food, and they don´t like to share it with the gras.

Ask a Question