Hydrangeas and lilacs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m a brand new member. I’ve recently moved from southern ilin to sou New Hampshire. Tip. Don’t buy a home you have never been in! The pictures of the home completely neglected to show two gardens. The large one is perenals and the small one is a rose garden, Both have been neglected. That was the best part I didn’t see! I’m fairly ne to gardening because we could plant very little in Illinois because the deer population was overwhelming. There are deer here, but haven’t overwh us yet. Today, I’m going to ask for help with very old hydrangeas and lilacs. It’s really good that I found this forum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture of a very old lilac. The trunk is about 8 inches in diameter And it’s leaning on garage roof. How can I save some of it? My wonderful husband, usually, refuses to move the garage…….

My hydrangeas are also old and one construction worker had the audacity to suggest that they may be holding up the porch. See below. I’m afraid he might be a little right. Construction is go to occur behind the bushes.

I'm looking for advice on rescuing both bushes, one huge lilac and three old hydrangeas. If they can’t be saved, how can I get some large starts from them. I may be daydreaming but I’m not giving up until the the construction company arrives.

I love the bushes but not enough to chain myself to them ot to ignore need for foundation work. Your advice will be most welcome. Can you believe the realtor did not show me these lovely gardens through his phone camera? One more photo to show why we bought this house, so you don’t think I’m completely out of my mind! my. Monadnock is in the backyard too. This area calls to my heart.

thank you in advance. Ginger1588

Attachments

• 15E019BE-12FF-4C58-86B6-CD3A96F7D7B0.jpeg
    15E019BE-12FF-4C58-86B6-CD3A96F7D7B0.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1BC73D10-21DF-4B2A-8C80-1D79F852B58A.jpeg
    1BC73D10-21DF-4B2A-8C80-1D79F852B58A.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a house that had a big gnarled lilac bush/tree. It was so out of hand that I didn't think there was any point in it so I took it out. I think (and I'm no expert) that if they aren't tended to each year, they get to a point of no return. Maybe bring in a garden planner or an arborist to see what they think. I think hydrangeas can be dug up and split, but you might want to google the particulars on how/when to do that. Good luck, and yes..I think your realtor didn't show that garden on purpose FWIW. :)

Ask a Question