Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good evening!
I have a few hydrangeas on my patio that I planted back in early spring. I enjoyed the blooms until they pollinated and the colors faded. I followed instructions from this specific variety's creator and deadheaded the blooms after they were spent. This was in mid-May.
So it has been a little less than a month and new leaves have been sprouting from both old and new wood. I have had a couple of the oldest new-growth leaves get to be only about 2 inches long before drooping and dying off. So far, I don't see any sign of new stems emerging.

Does this sound normal? I should mention I have checked the leaves for any signs of pests and I do not see any. I also make sure to keep the soil moist and not wet, feeling about 1-2 inches before watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
These can do well in pots but you must be sure to use the proper water. Municipal water is chemically treated and may impede proper growth. Also, sunlight plays a big part in the health of Hydrangea. I would go to the store and get some spring water. I would then try to get them in the best position to get natural light. I have found that these plants are great survivors but if they aren’t happy they don’t bloom. Right now none of my potted ones have blooms but they are all going in the ground this week.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
From my own experiences with Hydrangeas, I'd like to add this.

They tend to prefer being in pots that are a lot bigger than would normally be expected. Thats because they are more susceptible to cold weather in pots.

As regards dead heading. I personally do mine only after the new seasons leaves are fully developed. The old blooms serve to protect the new shoots.

@Emma Do you know the exact variety of the one you have? Mine are just about beginning to bloom now, and will probably do so all summer.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Flatlander is right. Keep the dead flowers and foliage all through the winter, same for astibe and others as they actually insulate the plants against the cold and what nots. I just left mine in tons of water. One literally sat in a pot of rainwater all through winter, but don't do this your way. I have very dry air and clement weather. What works for me might not work for you. Hydrangeas do like moist soil and you can see them lining streams all over Cornwall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So you are saying you bought them already in bloom, which means they were forced to bloom. If true, sadly you will have to wait til next spring for the flowers to bloom at the correct time of year. Use this growing season to make them big and strong with proper watering, and ferts is all you can do now. Most hydrangeas bloom on old growth, so it would be wise to not do any pruning at all this year.

Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They are a "Magical Revolution" variety by a brand called Magical Four Seasons.
https://www.magicalfourseasons.com/en/frequently-asked-questions/#/1052
I emailed them regarding the flowers because they seemed to have ended their blooming almost as if it were fall. They told me that with this variety, after each bloom is spent, to cut it off and then new leaves and shoots will emerge and that there will be blooms for 6 months, but in the fall to leave the blooms on for winter protection.
Since I deadheaded the blooms I am getting lots of new leaves. They have grown quite quickly but now they seem to slow down and sort of "wilt." If I don't get blooms this season, I am fine with that, but I do want to find out why the leaves don't seem to be growing much more than about 1-2 inches long. I would expect they would keep growing to the size of the other leaves. They are the "big leaf" variety. (n)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Emma: Email them and ask them again is probably your best bet!

Ask a Question