Is it possible to propagate lime with branch cutting?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
My grandparents have a huge lime tree in their backyard. I've been wanting to ask them if I could take a cutting, but first I'll need to be sure that the branch can be propagated. I'll be visiting them soon so sorry I don't have any pictures of the tree.

Here is a drawing of the new branch that has been sprouting out of the main stem:
xGrhpr1.png

Will I be able to root that branch after snipping it off? It's around 25 inches (64 cm).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My grandparents have a huge lime tree in their backyard. I've been wanting to ask them if I could take a cutting, but first I'll need to be sure that the branch can be propagated. I'll be visiting them soon so sorry I don't have any pictures of the tree.

Here is a drawing of the new branch that has been sprouting out of the main stem:
xGrhpr1.png

Will I be able to root that branch after snipping it off? It's around 25 inches (64 cm).
Absolutely. It is one of the best methods. But don't take the cutting from where you planned. Go to the new growth from somewhere at the top or at the end of a limb. Cut about 4-6 inches in length and remove most of the leaves. Apply rooting hormone and stick into a moist planting medium and don't let it dry out. Keep well lit also. Google propagating lime tree and you will find all kinds of info.

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi, I absolutely agree with Chuck's instructions. I would add that it helps a lot if you make some kind of little greenhouse (transparent plastic bag, plastic container or glass bowl) over, after you make everything Chukc said. And do not put your cuttings on direct sun! After few weeks the growth should appear (sometimes lasts longer), and than you can remove your "greenhouse"' and slowly begin to move your cuttings to sunny position.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Then wouldn't it be better to just start from seed? I thought using that branch would just speed up the process since it's already developed. Maybe I'm wrong. o_O
I don't have any rooting hormones, the shop I buy from is going to restock by November. I wonder what can I use as alternative.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Then wouldn't it be better to just start from seed? I thought using that branch would just speed up the process since it's already developed. Maybe I'm wrong. o_O
I don't have any rooting hormones, the shop I buy from is going to restock by November. I wonder what can I use as alternative.
If starting from seed it will take 8-10 years for the tree to mature enough to produce fruit. That branch is not new growth. It should be removed but it is not suitable for a cutting.
When I was a small kid I remember my parents using raw honey to propagate cuttings. I don't know if it really works or not.

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi, another addition to Chuck. If you plant seeds you never know what kind of fruit will plant produce, while vegetative propagation (cutting) gives exact clone of mother plant, so fruit is the same as the plant you take cuttings from. That is, beside time to fruiting, the most important advantage of propagation from cuttings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I'll start doing searching for guides based on what you all said.

Ask a Question