Is it possible to "burn" your plants with fertilizer?

Reaction score
Seedlings don't need anything until they get their first true leaves, the seed provides them with everything they need up till then.

No, don't want damping off, that's why when I do need to fertilize, and only need a small amount, I make extra sure it is weak.

I have short summers here, and need to grow my seedlings as much as I can before it's time to set them out, so I have to use some fertilizer and/or compost tea.

Reaction score
Over fertilizing happens to the best of gardeners and their plants. Since you are in Florida you should still be able to pick up some plants at a garden center to replace the ones that you have lost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over fertilizing happens to the best of gardeners and their plants. Since you are in Florida you should still be able to pick up some plants at a garden center to replace the ones that you have lost.
And if you use organic fertilizer it is even harder to over fertilize and/or burn. Organics are MUCH more forgiving

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
And if you use organic fertilizer it is even harder to over fertilize and/or burn. Organics are MUCH more forgiving
I've been moving away from chemical fertilisers to organics, trying to wean MYSELF from using them.
Since you are more experienced than I, perhaps you might start a topic about organic growing, quantifying (if you have the info) about the values of compost tea, (actively aerated or not) mycorrhizal fungi, volcanic rockdust, seaweed extract, poultry manure, worm humous and the like?

I, for one, would be most interested and grateful, as I never seem to know how much to use, and find myself tempted to add just a little bit of the bad stuff, "to make sure".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been moving away from chemical fertilisers to organics, trying to wean MYSELF from using them.
Since you are more experienced than I, perhaps you might start a topic about organic growing, quantifying (if you have the info) about the values of compost tea, (actively aerated or not) mycorrhizal fungi, volcanic rockdust, seaweed extract, poultry manure, worm humous and the like?

I, for one, would be most interested and grateful, as I never seem to know how much to use, and find myself tempted to add just a little bit of the bad stuff, "to make sure".
I would be happy to. I am not a scientist, just an old country boy who believes 100% in getting rid of every chemical fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide out there possible. I have been organic way way before this new organic craze came about. I know a lot about all of the topics you have mentioned plus a bunch more. But how would I start a new topic? Do you mean a new thread? Or a forum. I would like to see and entire forum devoted only to organics but I don't know how to start one. I believe Meowmie is totally organic also. I don't know what they have or don't have up north only here in Texas. If it were possible to get 4 or 5 organic growers from all over and pitch in I believe it would be of tremendous benefit to us all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would be happy to. I am not a scientist, just an old country boy who believes 100% in getting rid of every chemical fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide out there possible. I have been organic way way before this new organic craze came about. I know a lot about all of the topics you have mentioned plus a bunch more. But how would I start a new topic? Do you mean a new thread? Or a forum. I would like to see and entire forum devoted only to organics but I don't know how to start one. I believe Meowmie is totally organic also. I don't know what they have or don't have up north only here in Texas. If it were possible to get 4 or 5 organic growers from all over and pitch in I believe it would be of tremendous benefit to us all.
I meant a new forum; perhaps "Organics?".

You could use one topic for each of the aspects of organic fertiliser I've suggested, and far more, showing its benefits and the savings in chemical fertiliser achievable, and perhaps we could ask questions?

I'm sure there are many of us interested.

If you'd be willing to do that, we could put the idea to the administrators, and we might find that others have a useful contribution to make.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I meant a new forum; perhaps "Organics?".

You could use one topic for each of the aspects of organic fertiliser I've suggested, and far more, showing its benefits and the savings in chemical fertiliser achievable, and perhaps we could ask questions?

I'm sure there are many of us interested.

If you'd be willing to do that, we could put the idea to the administrators, and we might find that others have a useful contribution to make.
Sure, I would be more than happy to share what knowledge I have, but good luck with admin. I asked them to make it mandantory for new signups to put their location down but they said their software wouldn't allow it. I am far from being a computer guru but isnt software meant to be changeable? Isn't thats why it is called software and not hardware? But maybe it is just me. I mean what if someone asked me how I planted tomatos, went to a step by step and then found out he was from Tierra del Fuego or some such? But you are right. I am sure many more people are interested in organics than we realize and the organic methods where I live in dry alkaline hot semi-desert central Texas are not the same as say nice cool fertile slightly acidic rainy upstate NY. It would be a win win for everyone. But yes, I will do it and before long I bet it will take over all the other forums in the number of participants and I won't be the only cry in the wilderness.

Ask a Question