Is curry leaf a herb?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Curry leaves is a herb and is grown in india vastly they are added in indian and south indian dishes
It adds to the flavour while making vegetables and helps digestion in india none of the houses are without curry leaves its a very intigral part of our homes

Curry leaves have 2 varities 1 is used in cooking and 2nd variety is a bit different in shape which is bitter in taste bitter variety is used is making oil and used to keep the pest away

Bitter variety is also used to heal stomach problems juice of bitter curry leaves helps in digestion it is said that in summer when u have a juice u keep great health throughout a year bitter variety is said to absorb heat and so when a person is suffering from jaundice people keep these leaves around them to get healed faster bitter leaves keeps the flies away too many flower venders keep bitter leaves around them
Bitter leaves are sued to heal skin problems soak bitter curry leaves in water over or grind and kix with water and have bath with it heals skin
I am from India and as you have seen in my image it has grown into a tree. I have serveral use for it but just did not know that it came under the category of herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We have curry trees in the garden center and the smell is so unpleasant I can't imagine growing it at home. It's especially bad when the tree has berries on it. I refuse to believe the leaves of that tree can be used to make anything taste good, lol. I could bring home fresh leaves if I wanted, but I'm afraid to taste them!

How do you used them for cooking, @grouie?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We have curry trees in the garden center and the smell is so unpleasant I can't imagine growing it at home. It's especially bad when the tree has berries on it. I refuse to believe the leaves of that tree can be used to make anything taste good, lol. I could bring home fresh leaves if I wanted, but I'm afraid to taste them!

How do you used them for cooking, @grouie?
I have other herbs; I buy some and add them all to make a spread I also use it to garnish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I understand in articles that I read, curry is in the category of spice and not an herb. However, as far as we are concerned, herbs and spices are the same as long as they are edible and they provide flavor to the food. Like the bay leaf, it cannot be considered an herb simply because it is a tree but the purpose is almost the same as herbs, they add flavor to our cooking and that's what mattered most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use curry powder in my cooking and I think of it as herb! So if the leaves are used to season and flavoring the food then it is herb :) Having fresh curry leaves to marinate your food sounds very wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Whoops! Now we're getting into a different matter. :)

Curry powder bears no relation to curry leaves. It's just a misunderstanding that arises from the words being the same. Curry powder is, usually, a powdered mixture of roasted spice seeds. (y) (Roasting not absolutely necessary but it gives a better flavour).

Reaction score
Country
Australia
What what whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??
I eat Curry Leaves by the handful, it may sound gross, I know. But they're so good!
Do you have a local, authentic Indian or even Malay restaurant that serves curries? Head there now and be amazed, they may not smell like much but the taste in the right context in heavenly.

If I'm wrong feel free to punch me or something.

As for Curry Trees, Grouie. I'm so jealous.
Your curry tree puts mine to shame.

Ask a Question