Is anyone growing ginger?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The weather's been pretty warm though we've had a lot of rain. Not that the rain gets to it, as it's still in my greenhouse, but it gets watered daily along with all my trees. I'm not so sure about what the gentle persuasion consisted of as a member of my bonsai club pulled the rooted seeds out of the ground and replanted them. Even then only one worked. And I did soak the ginger before planting it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose the aspirin water is worth a try. How diluted should it be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I use one aspirin in a tall spray bottle (16 or 20 ounces?) as a foliar spray for my plants and I occasionally water with it as well. You don't want too much, just enough aspirin to stimulate natural processes. I wouldn't use more than one - has to be plain and uncoated - aspirin per half gallon of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I use one aspirin in a tall spray bottle (16 or 20 ounces?) as a foliar spray for my plants and I occasionally water with it as well. You don't want too much, just enough aspirin to stimulate natural processes. I wouldn't use more than one - has to be plain and uncoated - aspirin per half gallon of water.

Thanks Chanell. I've heard of using aspirin as a rooting hormone, but it's the first time I've heard of using it as a foliar spray. I don't think that I'll be trying that on all my trees as I've got far too many of them. Feeding takes me over an hour and I don't do it anywhere near as often as I should. I might try it on some that are looking a bit poorly though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks Chanell. I've heard of using aspirin as a rooting hormone, but it's the first time I've heard of using it as a foliar spray. I don't think that I'll be trying that on all my trees as I've got far too many of them. Feeding takes me over an hour and I don't do it anywhere near as often as I should. I might try it on some that are looking a bit poorly though.

You're welcome! Your trees shouldn't need it, but if you grow tomatoes they would definitely benefit. It helps them grow and fight off attack from all manner of bugs (not just the crawly kind). I haven't found anything helpful for rooting cuttings except hormone powder and willow water. Some things are easier to root than others though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
You're welcome! Your trees shouldn't need it, but if you grow tomatoes they would definitely benefit. It helps them grow and fight off attack from all manner of bugs (not just the crawly kind). I haven't found anything helpful for rooting cuttings except hormone powder and willow water. Some things are easier to root than others though.

I've never tried willow water because, when I cut pieces off my willows, I usually root them to make more little trees which I put on my bonsai club's raffle table. However aspirin is made from willow so it's supposed to do the job too. I think I tried it once without success, but I suspect my solution was too strong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've never tried willow water because, when I cut pieces off my willows, I usually root them to make more little trees which I put on my bonsai club's raffle table. However aspirin is made from willow so it's supposed to do the job too. I think I tried it once without success, but I suspect my solution was too strong.

Well, aspirin used to be made from willow... You only need a few branches to make willow water. I harvest a bunch, fill a jar or two and save some for rooting. I have a few now that need to be potted up. It's almost time to harvest more branches for rooting solution. Soon I will have my own willow for that purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Well, aspirin used to be made from willow... You only need a few branches to make willow water. I harvest a bunch, fill a jar or two and save some for rooting. I have a few now that need to be potted up. It's almost time to harvest more branches for rooting solution. Soon I will have my own willow for that purpose.

My willows are too small to harvest any substantial branches, so I doubt I'll be able to make willow water any time soon.

I just wanted to let you know that when I went out to my greenhouse this morning I noticed a tiny green shoot coming out of the soil beside the piece of ginger, so it doesn't look like I'll need to use the aspirin or any other coaxing after all :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My willows are too small to harvest any substantial branches, so I doubt I'll be able to make willow water any time soon.

I just wanted to let you know that when I went out to my greenhouse this morning I noticed a tiny green shoot coming out of the soil beside the piece of ginger, so it doesn't look like I'll need to use the aspirin or any other coaxing after all :)

You could still use it to help the plant deal with any nasties that may be present in the soil such as fungus or bacteria. It just helps the plant grow stronger and boots it's immune system. All plants have salicylic acid, not just willow.

Check out this article: http://www.ehow.com/way_5649729_aspirin-water-helps-plants.html

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown ginger ( different kinds ) in my parents home. These are hardy plants and don't need much care. I wouldn't know about how they do in harsh winters though. They need well drained soil. With a little mulch you could easily get a kilogram of ginger without lifting a finger. These grow well in warm sunny places. These bamboo like plants are quiet elegant and can be kept as indoor plants with good lighting of course.

How do they overwinter, though? I tried one summer, they did fine, but the winter snapped them. I am in zone 7.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah you're right. I didn't protect them. I thought they would have been buried deep enough. lol. I think I will try again this year.

No such thing with a plant that isn't winter hardy. Maybe try in a large pot next time?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been growing ginger for a while. I started with a fist-sized knob of ginger that I bought at the supermarket and planted. After a while it sprouted and eventually grew into a tall bamboo-like plant. Even when I trim off the dead leaves, or trim a broken stem, I've noticed that every part of the plant smells amazing. I cut off pieces off ginger now and then for cooking but always leave most of the root in the pot so it can keep growing. I've had the same ginger plant since 2008. I grow it in a container because I've been planning for a while to move to another apartment and I don't expect to have a yard. I made an entire Pinterest board of container garden ideas I found online for apartment gardeners.

when you use it for cooking do cut a piece of the leaf or the root?

Ask a Question