Is anyone else growing sunflowers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sunflowers are one of my favorites to grow every summer. I took the seeds from the bird seeds and just pushed them down into the dirt and they grew so wonderfully. I left these sunflowers for the gold finches to eat. My favorite colors of sunflowers are the different mixes!
Summer Sun.JPG

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't usually plant sunflowers because they grow so tall, we have a bare spot on the back fence that is just screaming for sunflower plants, I think I will plant some there this spring, I hope it get's enough sun in the spot, we have 5 large trees in the back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here are some pics of my sunflowers from last year. I plant this box every year with a different annual. Last year happened to be sunny's. The box is 32 feet long by 3 feet wide, and roughly 2 feet high. It originally started out as a perennial box, but always seemed to get neglected, and became so unsightly I tore everything out but the vinca minor growing up front.
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG
This year I would normally plant something completely different, but I am so impressed with these types of sunny's (see below) I'm really being swayed to stay with the previous theme to an extent. Obviously this will be an annual for my climate, but for those who live in zones 8b-11 this would be a perennial for you.
BeachSunflower.jpg

Helianthus debilis
Common Name: Beach Sunflower

Colors: Yellow
Optimal Light: Sun Mature Height: 1ft-2ft
Light Range: Full/Part Sun Mature Spread: 3ft-5ft
Soil Moisture: Well-drained Soil Texture: Any
Wildlife:
wildlife2.gif
wildlife3.gif
Salt Tolerance: High
Florida Native: Yes Florida Region: N,C,S
Drought Tolerance: High Hardiness Zone: 8b-11
Season of Color: Year-round
Comments: Beach Sunflower grows low and spreads to form a dense ground cover in hot sunny locations even without irrigation. It is very attractive to butterflies and often reseeds. They are the perfect border for any butterfly garden. If it becomes unsightly from frost or winter weather, mow and wait for new seedlings or sprouts from the base of the plant to emerge with warm weather. Plant in any spot with well drained soil that gets at least six hours of direct sun and watch the flowers of these native dune plants turn their faces to follow the sun from sunrise to sunset. 9 pack Classic Selections are often available in the warm months at most Florida Home Depots east and south of Tallahassee. Plant on 2 foot centers and apply a generous layer of mulch to keep the weeds down and hold moisture in the sandy soils until these drought tolerant natives can establish as a ground cover. The selection we sell is shorter growing and flowers more prolifically than some selections. Use it to replace turf areas in sunny areas where it is no longer practical to maintain a lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Llcenter, your sunflowers are absolutely gorgeous!:D They're so tall! I especially love the first picture. Looking at it makes me dream about having my own garden.
Beach sunflowers are lovely as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Llcenter, your sunflowers are absolutely gorgeous!:D They're so tall! I especially love the first picture. Looking at it makes me dream about having my own garden.
Beach sunflowers are lovely as well.
Thank you claudine, they did amazingly well in that box with little to no help from me. I think it was only twice the entire year that they wilted enough for me to have to give them a good watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here are some pics of my sunflowers from last year. I plant this box every year with a different annual. Last year happened to be sunny's. The box is 32 feet long by 3 feet wide, and roughly 2 feet high. It originally started out as a perennial box, but always seemed to get neglected, and became so unsightly I tore everything out but the vinca minor growing up front.
View attachment 4450View attachment 4451 View attachment 4452 This year I would normally plant something completely different, but I am so impressed with these types of sunny's (see below) I'm really being swayed to stay with the previous theme to an extent. Obviously this will be an annual for my climate, but for those who live in zones 8b-11 this would be a perennial for you.
BeachSunflower.jpg

Helianthus debilis
Common Name: Beach Sunflower

Colors: Yellow
Optimal Light: Sun Mature Height: 1ft-2ft
Light Range: Full/Part Sun Mature Spread: 3ft-5ft
Soil Moisture: Well-drained Soil Texture: Any
Wildlife:
wildlife2.gif
wildlife3.gif
Salt Tolerance: High
Florida Native: Yes Florida Region: N,C,S
Drought Tolerance: High Hardiness Zone: 8b-11
Season of Color: Year-round
Comments: Beach Sunflower grows low and spreads to form a dense ground cover in hot sunny locations even without irrigation. It is very attractive to butterflies and often reseeds. They are the perfect border for any butterfly garden. If it becomes unsightly from frost or winter weather, mow and wait for new seedlings or sprouts from the base of the plant to emerge with warm weather. Plant in any spot with well drained soil that gets at least six hours of direct sun and watch the flowers of these native dune plants turn their faces to follow the sun from sunrise to sunset. 9 pack Classic Selections are often available in the warm months at most Florida Home Depots east and south of Tallahassee. Plant on 2 foot centers and apply a generous layer of mulch to keep the weeds down and hold moisture in the sandy soils until these drought tolerant natives can establish as a ground cover. The selection we sell is shorter growing and flowers more prolifically than some selections. Use it to replace turf areas in sunny areas where it is no longer practical to maintain a lawn.

I love to see sunflowers growing in a row like this and your would have make anyone happy just to see. These are just so beautiful! I am looking forward to summer to plant my sunflowers again this year!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The sunflowers look great. I tried to grow them but they didn't appear. I think maybe I didn't put them on the right spot. In sun but surrounded by too many plants. Deb

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found a spot in the yard that will do very go for the sunflowers. I hope to get them planted by the end of the week. The trees in my yard have covered most of the space I use as a garden making it to shady to grow some of my plants that need full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found a spot in the yard that will do very go for the sunflowers. I hope to get them planted by the end of the week. The trees in my yard have covered most of the space I use as a garden making it to shady to grow some of my plants that need full sun.
Go for it Pat! Just remember, sunnies don't like wet feet. When they start to show a little wilt, it is time to water. Otherwise leave them be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to every summer but not this year. We have rainy weather so I keep putting it off and now it is too late to start but we still have rain every week and it goes for two days straight. I hope yours will be wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I planted a Mexican variety this year. They grow to a height of only five feet, with a rusty orange flower head. 'Tithonia' Girasol Mexicano
Can't wait to see what they look like.

Ask a Question