Is anyone else growing sunflowers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Me neither, apparently the girls there really knock people out :eek::D

A lot do, England and Bulgaria have the Rose, although technically the Rose's here are representative of 2 different royal houses.

Wales has the Daffodil & the Leek. Scotland the Thistle, Ireland the Shamrock.

I did some research too and I found out that Polish national flower is poppy:DThis is interesting, especially since growing it is banned:p Oh well, it's a pretty plant. I'd prefer a rose though, a miniature rose:)

Reaction score
Mine have done quite well this year, the tallest I've ever grown. The biggest is 3 metres high and 14cm round the stem. It looks more like a tree and the garden's going to seem really empty when it's finished. At least the birds will enjoy the seeds next winter.

View attachment 732

View attachment 733

It's amazing that one of them is 14 centimeters around the stem.
That does sound like a tree. I can't even imagine a flower that big.
Did you do anything special to get them to grow that big?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did some research too and I found out that Polish national flower is poppy:DThis is interesting, especially since growing it is banned:p Oh well, it's a pretty plant. I'd prefer a rose though, a miniature rose:)

Really, I expect its only the Opium Poppy that's banned (Papava somniferum)

I'm involved in a UK plan to cover as many Gardens as possible with the Flanders Poppy (Papava rhoeas) to mark the Centenary of the start of the first world war.

Anything going on anywhere else?

Reaction score
I'm involved in a UK plan to cover as many Gardens as possible with the Flanders Poppy (Papava rhoeas) to mark the Centenary of the start of the first world war.

Wow, that's very cool! I hope you get a lot of gardeners involved!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Really, I expect its only the Opium Poppy that's banned (Papava somniferum)

I heard that a few people here were punished because cops had found a few poppy plants in their gardens. It was so silly. Nobody planted them, the plants grew there without any help, like regular weeds. And they definitely weren't Opium Poppy.
But maybe these were overzealous (or uninformed...) cops:rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like cops are the same everywhere then, they confiscated a Hemp Agrimony plant off my mate because they thought it was Cannabis :D

Its illegal to grow or possess Opium Poppy straw over here too, but they come up everywhere & no one bothers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Because of all of this, my mother decided to get rid of Poppy from our garden. I wish she didn't, after all, it's a very pretty plant. It's silly, everyone should be allowed to plant what they want, especially in their own gardens:cool: When I was a child, we had a few different varietes of Poppy here and it looked really nice.

Reaction score
I have never had much luck with sunflowers. In the past they have all been rather puny and did not amount to much. Yours are beautiful.

Reaction score
I grow sun flowers, I posted a picture of one of them earlier :) They're magnificent plants and extremely resistant! There was a field very close to where I live, and sun flowers always grew there (on their own). I don't know how they started growing there, I was a child when I first saw them. There was a whole field full of them... it's all memories now :(

Reaction score
I must admit, after spending about 6 months researching and trying to grow sunflowers for my sister-in-laws wedding, that was not the right season for sunflowers, I do tend to groan whenever I see them now!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, my Red Russians turned out to be Yellow Welsh by the looks of it.

DSCF0001.JPG

Reaction score
When I was a little kid we planted some in front of our house and I remember them being HUGE but that was so long ago and I was a kid, so I think maybe I just remember them being larger than they really were because this year I planted some and they didn't seem to get as big as I expected them to. But I also think maybe I planted them too close together, so that might have something to do with it. They're still beautiful though. Aside from roses I think the sunflower is my favorite flower. :)

1234382_632170166817314_1961459607_n.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The sunflowers look very healthy and happy! I tried growing some over the summer, but this particular summer was stormy and gloomy. They grew up to a meter before wilting, and I couldn't even harvest the seeds because they were not mature enough yet!

Reaction score
Country
Honduras
Wild Sunflowers

This is tropical overgrowth during the rainy season. If you let things go the land really does convert back into a rain forest over time. First the shrubs and then later the trees.

CAM00701.jpg CAM00702 (1).jpg CAM00703.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I love sunflowers. I always wanted to grow these on the side of my home. The look so beautiful when they grow so tall and lovely. What is the secret that makes these grow so wonderful?

Ask a Question