Is anyone else growing sunflowers?

Reaction score
Mine have done quite well this year, the tallest I've ever grown. The biggest is 3 metres high and 14cm round the stem. It looks more like a tree and the garden's going to seem really empty when it's finished. At least the birds will enjoy the seeds next winter.

100_3554.JPG

100_3559.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow they are spectacular! What's your secret?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're so tall, it's amazing! I've never grown sunflowers, but I would love to try, they're beautiful plants:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not yet, but I saved seeds from the ones I got in the box at the farmer's market recently. They are not the big ones that get really tall, but still pretty. There was another smaller variety as well and it will be nice to see if I can get the seeds to germinate and grow through the fall.

Reaction score
No, but I want to next year. How much space does one plant need? I have a bed next to the garage, that gets full sun so would be perfect, but it is only about a foot to a foot and a half wide. I tried growing hollyhocks there, but had to move them because they got so huge. It seems to me that sunflowers have a narrower profile....

Also, did you grow them from seed, or by seedlings? Do they bloom the first year?

Reaction score
I cannot grow the normal ones as they are too huge to be grown in my balcony. However, I got myself some dwarf Japanese sunflower seeds and guess what - my plant is one and a half feet tall and I spied three buds. I am waiting anxiously to see how it blooms. I had bought these seeds online. So I really don't know how they will look ion reality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Sunflowers are not any east plant to grow on a balcony, so I don't grown them. I love sunflowers and have a friend who has tons of them in his front and backyard. I don't know what he does but they are really tall and beautiful, just like yours:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I cannot grow the normal ones as they are too huge to be grown in my balcony. However, I got myself some dwarf Japanese sunflower seeds and guess what - my plant is one and a half feet tall and I spied three buds. I am waiting anxiously to see how it blooms. I had bought these seeds online. So I really don't know how they will look ion reality.

I'm sure that they will look gorgeous. Please remeber to take some pictures to share them with us. I've never seen any dwarf sunflowers, they sound like adorable plants:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got 3 Red Russian ones grown from seed given to me by another forum member, they're about 2 foot high now.

Here's one from a few years back, they only reach about 4 foot high. No viable seed from this one as there were no other ones around to pollinate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's so cute! It doesn't look like a regular sunflower though, it seems smaller and darker. It's very unique:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you know that the Sunflower is the national flower of the Ukraine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No, I had no idea, I've never been to Ukraine. But I think that it's really lovely. Does every country have a national flower?:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Me neither, apparently the girls there really knock people out :eek::D

A lot do, England and Bulgaria have the Rose, although technically the Rose's here are representative of 2 different royal houses.

Wales has the Daffodil & the Leek. Scotland the Thistle, Ireland the Shamrock.

Reaction score
Sunflowers always remind me of back at my mom's house! She grows sunflowers every year, they're her absolute favorite! She also grows a lot of lilacs, so the yellow's contrast against the light purple can look absolutely breathtaking in the right sunlight! Your sunflowers look beautiful and healthy! Great job! I'd get some to plant in my garden, but we have limited gardening space left, and I'd want them to grow really tall! Maybe one day I'll be able to grow some as well. :)

Ask a Question