Introducing more clover and daisies to an established lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Clover spreads in our front lawn no matter what we do to try and stop it. But I want even more!! I also want daisies which don't occur naturally.

Over winter we build up a lot of moss.

I don't want to use chemicals to kill the moss - is it OK to use a scarifier on live moss?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the moss then putting down clover and daisy seed on the bare patches.

Additionally, I've sown clover and daisies in plug trays which I can later insert into the lawn.

Does this sound like a good plan? Also, does anyone know what lawn daisies like? I'm wondering why they've never established naturally here?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, an excellent plan. I have long extolled the benefits of clover in my yard...and I don't understand the efforts to kill it.

The English Daisey is easy to plant from seed. You can purchase English Daisey off Amazon at 5000 seeds for $6. I'm sure you can find other sources, probably even cheaper. English daisy grows in nearly any type of well-drained soil and tolerates either full sunlight or partial shade. Save some work and direct seed both.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric rake/scarifyer, I find the rake function works best on moss, scarify goes deeper and cuts into the ground to aerate.
English daisy grows in nearly any type of well-drained soil
I get puddles in my clay based lawn when it rains, doesn't seem to put the daisies off. Taller daisies are nice too, and milkmaids. Before we moved I had a bit with long grass with ox eye daisies and snake's head fritillary among it. Some people argue that dandelion's deep roots are good for drawing up nutrients, I don't let them get out of hand, but I love the colour of them.

Ask a Question