Can I see your garden set ups for more ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love seeing gardens but, also love to learn new creative ways people grow. An how it can help me in my own creative way.
20230325_165536.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I like those containers Julian777ju...but it sure looks like they aren't getting full sun.

I make a hügelkultur container out of my old tubs (less soil and significantly less weight) and have had some success with them particularly with leafy veggies. (see related thread https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/an-experiment-in-hugelkulture-in-containers.24560/)

I'm currently experimenting with 12 different varieties of potatoes to determine the best for my area. ( see thread https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/in-search-of-potato-for-east-texas.27137/)

You asked to see new creative ways people grow...well mine aren't new by any means, and in fact are very old in many respects, but I consider them highly effective...and will try to present my program very briefly to you.

My garden set-up is centered around a program of constant soil building, rejuvenation, and crop rotation. I honestly don't put any stock in garden appearance, rather I focus completely on the soil. I've been veggie gardening for over 4 decades in this same location.

My program makes extensive use of cover crops such as alfalfa shown below:

alfalfa 2 2022.JPG

I use alfalfa in rotation for both summer and winter cover crops. Other winter covers include Elbon rye, vetch, cereal grains, turnips, etc. in rotation.

Sunn Hemp shown below is used exclusively in rotation for summer application. It is a tremendous soil builder. Other summer covers include cow peas, beans, and soybeans.

july 20.JPG

Together with extensive cover cropping and rotations, my program also includes the use of home grown well composted cow/hay residue.

cow compost 3.JPG

The net result of these practices has been (without any synthetic fertilizers or non-organic pesticides/fungicides) a healthy soil test which shows no "NPK" needed and wonderful, healthy veggies for my family.

no npk required.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Just looking for pics as inspiration? I like my raised beds here. Corrugated roofing metal has proven to be a good building material for me, but I did get a nice cut when starting 4 more beds last week (7 stitches).

I fill these much the way @Meadowlark did the hügelkultur containers which has been my preferred fill method for 10 years now. Pure symantics I like to call this "wood core" as we'll never be able to replicate Sep Holtzer's Hill Culture in a container.

@Julian777ju, what is that spiked corrugated material you wrapped around as a container?

Attachments

• Garden_1.jpg
    Garden_1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 15
  • Old_garden_0.jpg
    Old_garden_0.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Old_garden_1.jpg
    Old_garden_1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Garden_0.jpg
    Garden_0.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like those containers Julian777ju...but it sure looks like they aren't getting full sun.

I make a hügelkultur container out of my old tubs (less soil and significantly less weight) and have had some success with them particularly with leafy veggies. (see related thread https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/an-experiment-in-hugelkulture-in-containers.24560/)

I'm currently experimenting with 12 different varieties of potatoes to determine the best for my area. ( see thread https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/in-search-of-potato-for-east-texas.27137/)

You asked to see new creative ways people grow...well mine aren't new by any means, and in fact are very old in many respects, but I consider them highly effective...and will try to present my program very briefly to you.

My garden set-up is centered around a program of constant soil building, rejuvenation, and crop rotation. I honestly don't put any stock in garden appearance, rather I focus completely on the soil. I've been veggie gardening for over 4 decades in this same location.

View attachment 95076

I use alfalfa in rotation for both summer and winter cover crops. Other winter covers include Elbon rye, vetch, cereal grains, turnips, etc. in rotation.

Sunn Hemp shown below is used exclusively in rotation for summer application. It is a tremendous soil builder. Other summer covers include cow peas, beans, and soybeans.

View attachment 95077

Together with extensive cover cropping and rotations, my program also includes the use of home grown well composted cow/hay residue.

View attachment 95078

The net result of these practices has been (without any synthetic fertilizers or non-organic pesticides/fungicides) a healthy soil test which shows no "NPK" needed and wonderful, healthy veggies for my family.

View attachment 95079
Yeah your right I need to do some tree trimming to get some better sun light penetration through the trees. Yeah I notice im not getting the growth im looking for

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

View attachment 95076

View attachment 95077

View attachment 95078

View attachment 95079
Beautiful Process.:)

Ask a Question