Indoors tulips

Reaction score
That sounds like a very nice idea, @Esther Knapicius That ones need to be planted in soil, right? This trick with the marbles and water doesn't work with them or does it?

Reaction score
I have plenty of sunlight, but I don't have enough space on my window sills;) I think I'll buy new tulip bulbs when my miniature roses go dormant.
I'd love to grow white and purple tulips. How about you?:)

Oh my! Purple and white tulips would make a wonderful combination for your apartment! I personally love the purple color in general :love: Sadly I don't see that color in nature often :( Did you know there are purple and white tulips? :O

5733.image.jpg

If I grow tulips I'll probably go for purple, pink, white and red (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a great idea. I have never tried it, but saw it a long time ago on Pinterest. I have the perfect container, so maybe I need to find some tulip bulbs to try this out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That sounds like a very nice idea, @Esther Knapicius That ones need to be planted in soil, right? This trick with the marbles and water doesn't work with them or does it?
I always use a little bit of soil, so the bulb is at least 3/4 buried, and then dress the top up with marbles. or pretty stones, and yes I do water them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Esther Knapicius, I've just googled paperwhites. They're stunning! To be honest, I think they're one of the prettiest flowers I've ever seen:) How long do they last? I want to grow them too:D

Reaction score
@Esther Knapicius I've seen my mother in law do the same with other bulbs, and hers also do wonderfully! I might try and do the same, I think they can add an amazing pop of color to any house :) Thanks for the tips!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do you think I can plant paperwhite bulbs now? Will they bloom in winter? I've just done some research online and many people say that it's not a good idea:(

Reaction score
That is a great idea. I have never tried it, but saw it a long time ago on Pinterest. I have the perfect container, so maybe I need to find some tulip bulbs to try this out.

Yes, if you have the crystal containers then you should definitely give this a try, just try to be careful with the location, those bulbs seem to do better when they get enough light.

Reaction score
Do you think I can plant paperwhite bulbs now? Will they bloom in winter? I've just done some research online and many people say that it's not a good idea:(

Esther said she does this around Christmas ;) and she is from the US, so I think it can be done during winter as well.

Wow, they're gorgeous!!!:love:

I'd love to grow tulips like those:

white_tulips.jpg

purple_tulips_by_himfanatic5.jpg

Lovely selection! I plan to upload some tulip pics i took in the Netherlands, so man amazing varieties it was so hard to pick one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think I'll give it a try. Fortunately, bulbs are very inexpensive:)
And yes, please, do post the tulip pics you took in the Netherlands. I'd love to see them:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States

I start Paperwhites inside, in a pretty pot, depends I when I want them to bloom. If I want them to bloom at Christmas I will start them about end of November, in a pot inside. They stay inside in a window and at about Christmas they open up and smell lovely, to help decorate around at Christmas.
You can get a few earlier to start to have for Thanksgiving blooming. It should say on the box they come in, or on line the actual time it takes for it to grow tall and then finally bloom, then you can back out when you want to start them to have your presentation for the date you want it to be. For my zone, they are only indoors at that time of year. It is a type of forced bulb. And they do not bloom again, I just toss them.

come to think about it I have a pretty Christmas Sleigh I use for them to grow in. But I am not about Christmas yet.

Reaction score
I think I'll give it a try. Fortunately, bulbs are very inexpensive:)
And yes, please, do post the tulip pics you took in the Netherlands. I'd love to see them:D

I will in a bit :) I first need to fix them a little bit, there is something wrong with the light, because the pictures were taking with a mobile's camera, but I always do the best I can ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've tried growing tulips like the first image posted but never had much luck in keeping mildew and mold at bay no matter what I tried haha. The issue with growing tulips in that manner is the moisture retention in the container. I'll prolly fiddle around some more and find a balance since they are pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Esther Knapicius - thank you!:) I'll definitely buy a few paperwhite bulbs soon. Paperwhites are so, so pretty!!! I can't wait to see them in my apartment:love:
Trellum - I'm sure your pictures are great:) I've never seen a bad picture taken by you:)

Ask a Question