Can I grow tulips indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello! Yesterday, I received a new plant, it's another lovely gift from my boyfriend:) I took a picture of it:

DSC_02431539641515.jpg

And here is a close up on bulbs:

DSC_02461610273486.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know much about tulips. What should I do with them? Do you think that I can grow them indoors? I'd love to keep them in my room!:)

Reaction score
You can grow them indoors like any other plant. Chances are that the ones that you got as a gift were started inside and would not do well outside right now. Once they are done blooming cut off the dead flower. Keep the greenery growing until it also dies - its important because the green is how the plant energizes. Once the green dies cut it off and stop watering. Put the pot in a cool place; if you want to plant the bulbs outside in the fall go ahead, they should come up the following Spring.

Check out www.gardeningknowhow.com, they have some good info on growing tulips outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Firelily99, thank you so much, your post is very informative! I have one more question though. How long should I keep the pot in a cool place? Summer and warmer days are getting closer, is there any chance that my tulips will bloom again before the fall?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid not Claudine, they only bloom once a year, then they put the energy back into the blub for the following year.

Reaction score
Looking at the pot Claudine, they look a little cramped. As Zigs mentioned, they only bloom once a year, but they will die down at some point and then come back. When they do die down, you may wish to separate them so they have a little more space for next year.

Reaction score
Think your tulips are really lovely Claudine - but have to say - that I too would agree that they are planted fairly close together - considering that the recommended planting distance for tulips is between 4 - 6 inches apart - so think that you may wish to give them a little more space before they come back next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you all for your responses!:) I wish tulips bloomed many times a year, they're so pretty:cry:
I completely agree that they look a little cramped. I haven't transplanted them yet, I received them in this tiny flower pot.

Reaction score
Firelily99, thank you so much, your post is very informative! I have one more question though. How long should I keep the pot in a cool place? Summer and warmer days are getting closer, is there any chance that my tulips will bloom again before the fall?
No they won't, they are a one hit wonder each year.

Reaction score
Your tulips are lovely, Claudine! As everyone has already pointed out, they will do very well indoors, since they surely were started inside a greenhouse. Next year you should really try to plant them in the ground, you should let some space between them so they can grow properly. I'm sure they will look even more lovely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your tulips are lovely, Claudine! As everyone has already pointed out, they will do very well indoors, since they surely were started inside a greenhouse. Next year you should really try to plant them in the ground, you should let some space between them so they can grow properly. I'm sure they will look even more lovely!
Thank you! Yes, I think I'll plant them in the ground next year. There is a free space in our garden near my room's window, so I'll be able to see them all the time, even while studying:)

Reaction score
Wonderful, please keep us posted :) I'm sure everyone over here would love to see how things go with your lovely tulips! I'm sure they will do very well :) Hopefully you can take even more pictures then and post them here ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Of course! I'll keep you posted:D I hope that soon the other two bulbs will produce flowers too. When they do, I'll take pictures of them and share them with you:)

Reaction score
I love tulips but have not had much luck. Will be interested in your progress and I will try to keep some indoors. THanks for the pictures and an interesting thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that I'll keep them indoors only for some time:( One of the flowers is withering already. It's such a pity that they bloom only once a year! But of course I'll keep coming back to this thread and telling you about my progress. Thank you for your kind words, Justusforus:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tulips are very pretty when in bloom also when see tulips blooming you know spring is right around the corner. Enjoy your tulips.

Ask a Question