Important - Please Read

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, I'd be really impressed if someone were willing to come to my home! I've checked the web site, but it's not easy to navigate. Things are busy at work, but maybe after the season winds down I will look into this.
ChanellG, I know it's a pain sometimes, but your best bet is to probably go to the county offices and ask there. For some reason, the extension office isn't well publicized. You can also try the USDA - here's a link that should work
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, I know it's a pain sometimes, but your best bet is to probably go to the county offices and ask there. For some reason, the extension office isn't well publicized. You can also try the USDA - here's a link that should work
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Hope this helps.

As I said, perhaps down the road after I get more time. Online is better for me, though,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
zigs said:
Like Hogweed, against the hairs on it and then go in the sun, you get blisters. My Dad used the hollow stem of one as a pea shooter when he was a kid, got sores all round his mouth :eek:

I had a nasty experience with hogweed last summer.

the teeny weeny plant i grabbed was not like anything i have seen pictured online.

yes, i agree. Good caution!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Here in Florida we have a stinging nettle ( Cnidoscolu stimulosus) , also known as bull nettle, which has fine stinging hairs which cause a painful burning sensation and can leave a nasty rash. The plants have a lovely white flower of about 1 inch or less. Do not touch. It is not a serious poison, but only a serious masochist will not try mightily to avoid a repeat experience. As a child I had a few experiences, and it is probably more that 60 years since the last experience, which I vividly remember to this day. If you should have the misfortune of running into one, a tobacco poultice (wet cigarette tobacco works fine) will work wonders, as I remember. I see that this is also prescribed for bee or wasp stings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here in Florida we have a stinging nettle ( Cnidoscolu stimulosus) , also known as bull nettle, which has fine stinging hairs which cause a painful burning sensation and can leave a nasty rash. The plants have a lovely white flower of about 1 inch or less. Do not touch. It is not a serious poison, but only a serious masochist will not try mightily to avoid a repeat experience. As a child I had a few experiences, and it is probably more that 60 years since the last experience, which I vividly remember to this day. If you should have the misfortune of running into one, a tobacco poultice (wet cigarette tobacco works fine) will work wonders, as I remember. I see that this is also prescribed for bee or wasp stings.
This is a little off-topic, but I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay and we have stinging nettles, except they are actually jellyfish in the bay. They come in every year around June or so and stay all summer. Some years there are very few of them, others the water is covered with them

I'm an avid water person, and when I was about 16, we went out on my Dad's boat. It was a hot, humid day and as soon as we weighed anchor, I stripped off my t-shirt (I had a bathing suit on underneath) and jumped in the water, without looking first. I landed in a pod of nettles. I swear, I looked like a penguin, who jumps in the water and micro-seconds later, jumps back out. I had been stung at least a dozen times. I can tell you, I never went in the water again, without looking first. If there were any nettles around, I stayed out.

So, I wonder which "nettle" term came first - for the plant or for the jellyfish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I lived in Hampton Va. for many years and am quite familiar with the jelly-fish found there, but have never heard them referred to as stinging nettles. I am only familiar with the term nettle applied to plants. You are lucky that you had no more serious a reaction to those jelly-fish. Here in Florida we have recently had box jellyfish show up (I am used to the Portuguese man-o-war, but these are far worse). A single sting from the box jellyfish can be fatal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
The box jellyfish is new to the Florida area and I don't know how bad the infestation will become. I hope that it will not be too common, and I doubt that any natural controls are present.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beware... many vines are dangerous

Kudzu will swallow you and your home whole....
:eek:

Seek advice from a priest who is versed in the rite of exorcism

Ask a Question