Hey, what is the most important job to do in the garden at this time of year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am a young keen gardener and was wondering what people think is the most important job in the garden during the current time of year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I consider leaf raking to be an important job in autumn. I believe that it is not healthy when large quantities of leaves mulch into the lawn. I tend to rake the up, collect them in a wheelbarrow, then compost them.

-Jack

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I guess it would depend somewhat on your local climate...but mulching and composting are definitely on my to-do list this time of year. Also cutting back annual vines, removing depleted/dead vegetables plants and generally tidying up before winter hits for real. Also removing perennials from the containers and moving some of them to the shed. My vegetable garden is mostly cut back now, except for some very hardy greens, and the asparagus bed which I won't touch until the ferns are completely brown.

I'm waiting for my giant maple tree to do its humungous leaf dump on the front lawn and driveway, then I'll be raking up a whole bunch of leaves. Some will go in my compost pile, the rest bagged up for the township to take away. And if it counts, cleaning the leaves out of my gutters after the final leaf dump too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I'm another one who would have to say raking the leaves here. We have a couple of trees in our yard that lose their leaves like crazy, and our neighbors also do -- so when it's windy, we would end up with leaves all over the place if we didn't keep on top of it. I feel like I'm raking big piles of leaves every day, but I like to stay on top of it.

Ask a Question