zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
POISONOUS PLANTS DISCLAIMER. IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS
By viewing this forum you agree that its members and staff of Gardening Forums accept no liability for any injury or death occurring as a result of ingesting or exposure to any plant or fungi, either mistakenly believing it to be one described or listed on the forum, or as the result of an unforeseeable reaction or allergy to any plant or fungi that is described or listed in the forum.
Whilst Members and Staff make every effort to correctly identify plants and fungi posted here, it is not always possible to make an accurate identification from an image and there is always the possibility of a mistake, therefore the responsibility for identification ultimately rests with the individual.

In summary, we would always recommend that you seek the advice of an expert in identifying whether or not a plant is edible before consuming it, and if you are not 100% certain don't eat it.

Thank you, The Gardening Forums Team.

Reaction score
Good point to make Zigs. I see such gorgeous photos here and I have to remember that looks can be deceiving. Hopefully everyone will pay attention not only for their own sake but for family, children and even pets. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Many tropical fruits have toxic phases. The ackee is notorious. Highly toxic when unripe, the ripe fruit is highly prized. Some berries have phototoxins and are deadly when eaten and then the eater is exposed to sunlight.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Many tropical fruits have toxic phases. The ackee is notorious. Highly toxic when unripe, the ripe fruit is highly prized. Some berries have phototoxins and are deadly when eaten and then the eater is exposed to sunlight.

Like Hogweed, if you brush against the hairs on it and then go in the sun, you get blisters. My Dad used the hollow stem of one as a pea shooter when he was a kid, got sores all round his mouth :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Never saw this, but I've been getting plants from folk in a plant swap group and some are considered medicinal and/or edible. I've been wondering how to confirm that these are actually what I've been told they are as some plants have cousins that are closely related, but don't have the same benefits.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You have to be sure you know which plant you've got exactly before eating any of it, a few things spring to mind, like Carrots & Hemlock being in the same family & Black Nightshade only having one edible variety:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yep. The one plant I kind of question right now is Blue Porterweed. I have to go back and read about it again. At least the weather has turned to less hot and humid and I don't have to worry as much about some plants even being able to live. It's been either too much rain or too much sun.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is always better to be safe than sorry when concerning yourself with a whether or not a plant is harmful to you or your pets. I was recently over a friends daughters house at a cook out that has pets and a small child. While she was showing me her garden in her new home one of the plants is one that I know can be harmful to both the pets and the baby I made her aware of the danger and it was pulled out right then.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can't help with Blue Porterweed i'm afraid, sounds like a cross between Cyndi Lauper and the Beatles :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
You have to be sure you know which plant you've got exactly before eating any of it, a few things spring to mind, like Carrots & Hemlock being in the same family & Black Nightshade only having one edible variety:eek:
I once took a course on poisonous and edible plants at the University of Miami and was told that black Nightshade berries are all edible when ripe. They have to be completely ripe. Tomatoes are nightshade berries and are slightly toxic when green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I once took a course on poisonous and edible plants at the University of Miami and was told that black Nightshade berries are all edible when ripe. They have to be completely ripe. Tomatoes are nightshade berries and are slightly toxic when green.
So you means all these year that people been eating "fried green maters," it probably wasn't a good idea? I bought my dad a field guide on edible plants and their look-a-likes last year with full colors pictures. I am thinking about buying the same one for myself just because I feel like it's a good thing to know and understand. When I find the one I bought I will post up the information. I need to go digging thought my Amazon order history. I don't know why I have not put it in my wish list yet, he says he likes it better than the Army field guide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
So you means all these year that people been eating "fried green maters," it probably wasn't a good idea? I bought my dad a field guide on edible plants and their look-a-likes last year with full colors pictures. I am thinking about buying the same one for myself just because I feel like it's a good thing to know and understand. When I find the one I bought I will post up the information. I need to go digging thought my Amazon order history. I don't know why I have not put it in my wish list yet, he says he likes it better than the Army field guide.
There have been many warnings posted about this. There are also people who discount those warnings. Just don't overdo it, and do not eat them if you are particularly sensitive to nightshade toxins. Also be careful with potatoes and never eat any parts that have turned green, a danger when the tubers are exposed to sunlight. Always store your potatoes away from sunlight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Never saw this, but I've been getting plants from folk in a plant swap group and some are considered medicinal and/or edible. I've been wondering how to confirm that these are actually what I've been told they are as some plants have cousins that are closely related, but don't have the same benefits.
ChanellG, you should look for your county agricultural extension office. They are trained to recognize plants in your area, and can give you tons of information. I've found them to be extremely helpful. Everywhere I've lived, they've actually come out to my home and looked around and then given me advice as to what to plant, where. When I had horses, they came out and went over the whole farm to make sure there wasn't anything poisonous for the horses (they are extremely sensitive to wild black cherry trees). They'll test your soil and give you recommendations. They even helped me one time when I got into raising chickens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, you should look for your county agricultural extension office. They are trained to recognize plants in your area, and can give you tons of information. I've found them to be extremely helpful. Everywhere I've lived, they've actually come out to my home and looked around and then given me advice as to what to plant, where. When I had horses, they came out and went over the whole farm to make sure there wasn't anything poisonous for the horses (they are extremely sensitive to wild black cherry trees). They'll test your soil and give you recommendations. They even helped me one time when I got into raising chickens.

Wow, I'd be really impressed if someone were willing to come to my home! I've checked the web site, but it's not easy to navigate. Things are busy at work, but maybe after the season winds down I will look into this.

Ask a Question