Most important tools

Reaction score
My garden is tiny, behind my apartment and I really only have a small and shovel for working with, so far at least. What is your most important gardening tool and is there something I ought to be doing, even in this small space, that can't be done with a very small shovel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a small shovel and a telescope apple picker, but I could garden without these two things. My favorite tool are my office scissors, lol:D I use them to prune plants, dig small holes in the soil and cut flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't know how this escaped me--hands! A gardener's hands are the best tools--they can tell the temperature and tilth of soil, gently separate seedlings, plant and pick, and check for bugs and diseases. The best about gardeners' hands is that they are free, and usually come in pairs!

Reaction score
I have a small shovel and a telescope apple picker, but I could garden without these two things. My favorite tool are my office scissors, lol:D I use them to prune plants, dig small holes in the soil and cut flowers.
Are these pretty heavy scissors, kind of like clippers? I could definitely use something like that. It's hard to trim things without clippers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Are these pretty heavy scissors, kind of like clippers? I could definitely use something like that. It's hard to trim things without clippers.
No, they're just regular office scissors:p I think they're for children, but I have very small hands, so I don't mind.
Whenever I have to cut a really thick stem, I borrow my mother's clippers.

Reaction score
I do have some scissors around here, just don't have real clippers of my own yet. Maybe I'll put those on the Christmas list, I might need to do something about that vine that is trying to come over the fence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No, they're just regular office scissors:p I think they're for children, but I have very small hands, so I don't mind.
Whenever I have to cut a really thick stem, I borrow my mother's clippers.
This makes me think of this set of gardening clippers my grandmother and I used when I was little. They weren't very big and my little hands could use them, but man, they cut through anything. We used them for years. I don't think I have seen anything quite like them since then. I think I am going on a garden clipper treasure hunt now. I will have to post a picture when I found them. I love this forum. I am remembering good stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This makes me think of this set of gardening clippers my grandmother and I used when I was little. They weren't very big and my little hands could use them, but man, they cut through anything. We used them for years. I don't think I have seen anything quite like them since then. I think I am going on a garden clipper treasure hunt now. I will have to post a picture when I found them. I love this forum. I am remembering good stuff!
I love this forum too:) Reading about gardening and looking at pretty plants relaxes me more than anything.
As for my scissors, they're quite sharp. I can easily prune my minature roses with them:)
I'd love to see a picture of your future clipper.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Some of the handy tools in gardening

1. Rakes
2.Forks
3.Grass Trimmers
4.Shovels
5.Spades
You can buy them from your local store

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yes a good shovel is important, I have a regular spade and a small square shovel with a flat head for trenching and edges. I cheat and use it for ice too. I have a small axe and a machete for chopping back branches on the bushes. I do have a regular electric trimmer and a small hack saw that I use on the ever greens. Other then that a good pair of gloves, a small spade and a small hand rake do the trick fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh. I have found a recent gardening tool that I need that one does not thing of often. If you have frequent animals in your gardens, domestic or wild, you will need a pooper scooper. Now that my bf is not mowing weekly with the mulcher, I have doggie bombs everywhere and it isn't snowing enough for them to decompose. I was like we need to remedy this problem right away.

Ask a Question