If you had to choose one herb...

Reaction score
If I had to choose one type of herb it would be basil. I grow different varieties of basil in my garden all the time. I love the aroma of freshly pick basils straight from my garden. Recently, I have grown some lemon basil and it has this distinct lemony smell, though it also has the smell and taste of basil mixed with it. Lemon basil is a wonderful herb to use with fish, chicken and meats.

When it comes to basil I enjoy making tea in the morning when I get up, especially mint basil tea with a little bit of honey added.

Reaction score
For me it is rosemary all the way; this like my miracle plant as i used it for so many ailments, i even used it in my hair for strengthener. Overall rosemary is just an amazing plant.

Reaction score
For me it is rosemary all the way; this like my miracle plant as i used it for so many ailments, i even used it in my hair for strengthener. Overall rosemary is just an amazing plant.

Rosemary is a remarkable herb. I use it a lot in cooking, baking and barbecues for adding flavor. Every now and then, I will use the oil for my skin, hair, and for hot bathes. Taking hot bathes with Rosemary is a natural therapy for your body.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rosemary is a remarkable herb. I use it in a lot of cooking and baking. Every now and then, I will use the oil for my skin, hair, and for hot bathes. Taking hot bathes with Rosemary is a natural therapy for your body. You just laying there smelling the sweet aroma of this wonderful herb.

Well well i have just found another use for my rosemary plant, I have never taken a rosemary hot bath and will be trying out this for sure.

Reaction score
I would probably pick Basil as It always grows so fantastic around here, I fail with other types of herbs, but I haven't given up. I don't think I trim cilantro fast enough as it just ends up growing super huge and flowers out. I pulled the plant out though and saved the seeds, I will have to give it another go.

Reaction score
Wow that is hard, there are so many. But I think my favorite is rosemary. I love the way it tastes and I also like the way it looks growing.

Reaction score
I would have to go with cilantro. Cilantro adds so much freshness to numerous recipes, especially Mexican recipes. I love salsa, Mexican chicken salad wraps, and won tons. It just so happens that cilantro is a key ingredient in all of those recipes.

Reaction score
If you had to choose just one fresh herb to ever grow again what would you choose?

For me it would be basil. I love fresh basil. I pinch off a bit every time I walk by. There is such a clean taste to it. I use it in a lot of my morning olmlets and it pairs really well with all those tomatoes I grow all summer. Its the one fresh herb I would never want to give up.

There are many I would miss but if I had to I could survive.
That's a tough question and really 2 come to mind but if I had to pick one it would also be basil. I use it in just about everything I cook. I'm Italian so I make a lot of sauce so we go through tons of it . :) I also use it in many of the breakfast dishes I make. The smell is amazing and actually reminds me of my grandmother's cooking when I was a child. Every time we went to her house to visit there was sauce on the stove with the smell of basil in the air... good memories. If we grow too much, I freeze it to use for later as well. :)
Good question :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It would have to be garlic for me. Ot only does garlic taste fantastic, but it also has many health benefits. I could not live without garlic.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basil for me hands down. It's a mandatory ingredient in spaghetti and pizza. One problem I have is not plucking the flowers and the flavor changes to where it doesn't taste good anymore.

I also like dill. Goes good on sandwiches. Dill has to be guarded as it's a target for pests.

Sometimes I use Oregano.

Reaction score
Country
Honduras
I would have to say basil. Pesto sauce is probably one of my favorite foods. I use it like you're supposed to on pasta, but also on small pieces of toast with a meal, and on meat. I have a lot of basil plants in my lettuce greenhouse, and in the mornings when I get there, I usually cut off a few pieces just to fill the air with the smell. I also give away a lot of it. People love it, and usually they'll smell the bag. It brings a smile to their faces.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is particularly difficult for me to answer both because I love fresh herbs all around and because I haven't yet started growing them, so I can't really say in terms of difficulty or hassle. But I'd say either thyme or basil, I guess, because I end up using them the most and they're both quite versatile.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lemon balm is the perfect herb for teas, soups, and pasta toppings. It grows easily and quickly, and has a lovely smell.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would also choose oregano. I make a lot of Italian dishes and I love using oregano. I would love to have this on hand in my garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always add dried oregano and basil to my dishes. It makes soup, chili and northern beans taste very good. I have never used fresh herbs (although there's a well-known herb company right in my town), mainly because of the cost versus the dried variety. I think if I grew them that it would definitely be oregano and basil only.

Ask a Question