If you had to choose one herb...

Reaction score
If you had to choose just one fresh herb to ever grow again what would you choose?

For me it would be basil. I love fresh basil. I pinch off a bit every time I walk by. There is such a clean taste to it. I use it in a lot of my morning olmlets and it pairs really well with all those tomatoes I grow all summer. Its the one fresh herb I would never want to give up.

There are many I would miss but if I had to I could survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a difficult question because I like herbs and growing them is fun:) I think I'd miss mint the most. I love it's scent, it's so refreshing. I often drink mint tea, especially during summer:)

Reaction score
Basil is beautiful as a fresh herb, and mint is lovely as a tea. But I think I'd have to go with coriander, as a fresh herb that I'd miss the most - it has the most amazing, delicate, smoky kind of taste, it opens up a whole world of new tastes to me.

Reaction score
Sage. It is so underrated. It smells lovely, can be used in all sorts of dishes and drinks, is evergreen, and produces stunning long lasting flower spikes that the bees love.

Reaction score
I would have to say basil. It has great diversity, I love the smell and it taste excellent. It adds a gourmet taste to any dish. I think it is also easy to grow, and reproduces easily.

Reaction score
For me it would be rosemary. I cook a lot of red meat, it also goes well with chicken. I also use them as kebab sticks, and barbecue meat/chicken with them.
I make a tea with rosemary as well, it boosts circulation and memory.

Reaction score
It would be basil for me as well, because it is the one I use the most, and I love the smell of it. But it would be a great sacrifice to give up all the other herbs, and I hope to never live in a world where you are only allowed to grow one type of herb! ;)

Reaction score
I think I like thyme. I bought a starter plant and used some in a recipe and it gave a lot of flavour for the recipe.

Reaction score
At the risk of seeming to hop on the bandwagon here I would have to say basil to! I have a plant that 4 years old . I dig it up in the fall so it can winter in my kitchen. I find it very easy to care for because the leaves start to curl when it needs water.

Reaction score
Another vote for basil here. We have found the best place to grow it is on our lounge window (yes it is in a pot!!). When we pick it the smell lingers for a while and it is delightful. Basil fits in well with a lot of dishes that we make and adds such a fresh taste.

The only problem we have found is that it doesn't tend to last very long :(

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's an herb, but I would want to grow ginger if I could only grow one herb. I use my ginger more than anything else I grow because I like Asian food.

Reaction score
Hmmm, basil or sage, now that's a tricky one. Basil is fresh and goes with pretty much everything, but sage has a warmth and a depth of flavour to it that I love. Maybe I could try and make a hybrid out of them both and call it Bage or Sagil would that work?

Reaction score
I would choose Rosemary as well. It goes great and can be incorporated in almost anything. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to have Rosemary on Perogies or Pastalitos! The Rosemary is often what makes the whole dish. I've even been using it in omelets lately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Mine would be oregano. I love the smell and the taste of oregano, and I use it in a lot of the foods that I make, and even a dab in my salads, and in the vinegariette dressing. One thing I really like about oregano is that it is perennial, and will spread and come back every year. I started with a couple little plants, and then each year they grew, ad I harvested them. The next year, I would divide them and plant starts, so each year, I had more oregano, and started sharing it with my family.
When it starts budding, then I cut the tops down and dried them, and put them in a jar for winter use.
To me, it is just a great herb for use all year long, and simple to grow.

Ask a Question