If you could only grow 3 tomato varieties ?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

If you could only grow 3 varieties of tomatoes, what varieties would you choose and why ?

My current list would be:

Sun Gold- One of the only F1 Hybrids that I grow every year. I prefer open pollinated varieties (I am an avid seed saver), but I have yet to find a cherry tomato with the same sweet, almost tropical fruit flavor. I absolutely love the unique scent of the foliage as well! Not many of these make it inside the house as I am always snacking on them out in the garden. I have also grown out some of the open pollinated versions of Sun Gold but none of them are quite as good as the F1 in my opinion.

Indigo Rose- A relatively new tomato that was developed by Jim Myers at Oregon State University. Indigo Rose turns almost black when exposed to a lot of sunlight due to it's high anthocyanin content. Anthocyanin is a powerful anti-oxidant and I like to include a range of different colored vegetables in my diet in order to obtain a wide spectrum of nutrients. These saladette sized tomatoes are great for snacking on, slicing for a salad or run through the juicer to add some extra anti-oxidants to your juice.

Black Krim- A Ukrainian heirloom that originates from the Isle of Krim in the Black Sea off the coast of the Crimean Peninsula. One of my all time favorite tomatoes. This variety produces large, brownish-purple, slightly flattened beefsteaks with green shoulders/ Black Krim has a taste profile to die for.. rich, slightly salty, with a hint of smokiness. I will always have a few Black Krim plants growing in my garden!

What are your top 3 tomatoes that you can't live without ?

Regards,
Kiarnan

Reaction score
I only grow three kinds anyhow, so that is pretty easy:
  • Beefsteak tomatoes
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Cherry tomatoes
Beefsteak's for sandwiches, salad's, BBQ's, burgers etc, Roma's for pasta sauces and Italian foods, Cherry tomatoes for Salads and putting in some pasta dishes.

Reaction score
The only tomato I like to eat is the Cherry tomato... They're easy to throw in a salad, so I don't need to cut anything up. I find that they taste better than the rest of them anyways, so.... I love cherry tomatoes!!!!! Maybe I'll try another tomato one of these days :)

Reaction score
I'd have to go with
Green Zebra - nice strong taste and interesting decent sized fruit, they have vertical stripes of different shades of green
Sun gold - love those tasty little yellow fruits, plus in salads they bring a different colour to the palette
and
Ox Hearts- big like a beef steak but with darker more tastier flesh

Reaction score
I used to grow OxHeart's but found them quite tasteless no matter what medium they were grown in, so returned to the trusty beefsteak.

There's another I forgot to consider but don't grow it right now.. Apollo, they are really tasty and keep well too.

Reaction score
I like Early Girl, Better Boy and cherry tomatoes. Those are the brands my grandparents always grew. They knew what they were doing when they gardened. So I carry on the family tradition every spring.
However, I may try growing one of those super tomatoes which was written about in a different thread.

Reaction score
  • Money Maker
  • Any kind of beef tomato
  • Plum
Money are my favorite for overall taste and nice to pick off while your wondering around the rest of the grow tunnel. Beef tomatoes are the only tomato that should ever be put in a burger bun in my opinion and the plums because I love to make a lot of spaghetti sauce and they keep really well.

Reaction score
  • Money Maker
  • Any kind of beef tomato
  • Plum
Money are my favorite for overall taste and nice to pick off while your wondering around the rest of the grow tunnel. Beef tomatoes are the only tomato that should ever be put in a burger bun in my opinion and the plums because I love to make a lot of spaghetti sauce and they keep really well.
Money maker's are one I had long forgotten, last time I had them they were large but rather tasteless, but this could also be how they were grown, how do you find the flavor of them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would definitely grow cherry tomatoes because they are easy and you get an abundance of fruit with just a few plants. I would want to also grow roma tomatoes because I like eating them, and then I'd want some kind of slicer for sandwiches, maybe a creole. I'm trying my hand at those for the first time this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm... good question.

I have to agree with the green zebras. They are a nice size, good flavor and so prolific, you could plant just one and have a full season of tomatoes!
I like the rainbow tomatoes for color and they aren't bad for size either. Nice and juicy. Good on sandwiches.
For a last one, I would have said my best red would have been something called a 'Campbell' tomato, but I haven't seen them anywhere in ages. That was truly the best tasting tomato I've ever eaten. Now I'm falling for a new variety called 'Bobcat' - perfect size, excellent hardiness and no annoying cracks to contend with. It looks like the perfect tomato and while it doesn't quite have the magnificent taste of the Campbell, it's pretty darned good for an early tomato.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I only grow three kinds anyhow, so that is pretty easy:
  • Beefsteak tomatoes
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Cherry tomatoes
Beefsteak's for sandwiches, salad's, BBQ's, burgers etc, Roma's for pasta sauces and Italian foods, Cherry tomatoes for Salads and putting in some pasta dishes.
I agree that beefsteak and Roma are my two top tomatoes. I'm not a huge fan of the cherry tomatoes. I don't think they have as much flavor as the larger ones. Plus, I like dicing my tomatoes up for bruschetta and salsa and I find the smaller ones have too many seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not picky, I love all tomatoes:) They're the best fruits in the whole world! I'd probably choose big and sweet varieties.
The only tomatoes I don't like are cherry tomatoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
(1)Black Krim, (2) Lemon Boy, (3)Red Grape Tomatoes, (oblong cherry).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
Best Tomatoes
1. Sun Sugar Cherry Tomato
2. Big Beef
3. Yet to be determined!

Very good tomatoes were: Chocolate Cherry, Bush Goliath, Scarlet Red Hybrid, Sun Gold.

I keep trying many different ones. Disappointed with: Black Cherry, Indigo Blue Beauty, Mountain Fresh Plus, Brandy Boy, Carolina Gold, Polish Linguisa, Defiant, Martino's Roma, Pineapple, Legend, Gourmet Heirloom Blend, Jelly Bean, 4th of July, San Marzano, all romas, most heirlooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
We don't seem to have the original Porter nor the Improved Porter available we had a few years ago. What happened? Anyone have them?

Ask a Question