Can I grow these tomatoes from seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
They are SOOO delicious and sweet, but they are very expensive. $5 for this pack. I want to grow them, but I'm afraid they are hybrids. What's the worst that can happen if I grow these?

IMG_2992.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 21335

They are SOOO delicious and sweet, but they are very expensive. $5 for this pack. I want to grow them, but I'm afraid they are hybrids. What's the worst that can happen if I grow these?
It is very doubtful if you will have the same tomatoes as those you have shown are hybrids. Also you do not know if the tomatoes you collect the seeds from were physiological mature tomatoes. But it would be interesting to find out. Go ahead and plant some.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Some F1 tomatoes are stable until the next generation (F2) so if you're lucky, you could get a high percentage of your tomatoes as you want them.
Indeed, Campari (which is a type rather than variety) tomatoes are probably crossed and crossed again, which seems, apart from a couple of minor cosmetic differences, to lead to tomatoes of very similar qualities.
What I would say is this, you can buy Campari tomato seeds, (in the UK they are marketed as "Mountain Magic) and in the almost year-round season you have in Florida propagate from cuttings, nursing a few indoors through the winter for the next year's stock, saving some seed for F2s in case of disease.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Of course, you can. Just squeeze out the seeds on a kitchen towel and wait for them to dry. Dunk the kitchn towel in a bowl of water and give it a good swirl and wait for an hour or two. Use a sieve to catch all the seeds and plant them either into compost or on a moist kitchen towel and you will have something like this

That's where I planted mine. You have to come up close and personal to see the tiny seedlings.
SAM_0282.JPG

The slender leaves are from the shop bought tomato seeds. Not difficult at all.

In fact, they germinated straight away.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@CrazyConure It's not a lot of trouble, compare with extracting knautia seeds. Have a go asap. That's what I did and I love the nurturing process. I will continue to get the finest range and see which one is sweetest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Oh, I'm not worried about collecting the seeds. I'm more worried of what will they produce. I'm afraid they will produce a sour/bitter tomato.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don`t grow tomatoes - just flowers and trees and shrubs, it is a time thing.
I always buy stupid ordinary store ones :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I don`t grow tomatoes - just flowers and trees and shrubs, it is a time thing.
I always buy stupid ordinary store ones :rolleyes:
I also don't grow tomatoes, just flowers, trees and shrubs. have lots of Amish farmers around and a few neighbors who grow unique heirloom tomatoes, of which I buy those. Or buy from a veggie market near-by.
Love finding the unique, that is how I am with my gardens, seeking out the unusual plants. Part of the wonderment of what is out there.

http://www.seedsavers.org/category/tomato?gclid=CNakq5mlmNQCFUUvgQod60AOJw

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Has an awesome year with the tomatoes.
Ate heaps and jarred enough sauce for a year or so.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ooops. Just throw away one with a lid .. I so want to make my own .. Saw @Logan 's handiwork. Really admire her!

Ask a Question