Whats Your Favorite Tomatoes To Grow!!!

Reaction score
Thought i would ask the question and find out what are your favorite tomatoes to grow !!!!

my favorite variety is called money maker and produces a terrific crop each year. i am very happy with them indeed!!! :)

a couple of pics of them growing away and dad in there looking for side shoots. and also fruit forming on one already!!!

005.JPG

004.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I don't have a favorite variety. In my opinion all tomatoes are delicious, I love them and I eat them every day:) I plan to start growing ‘Oxheart’, I heard that it's a great variety. I'm so excited about it!:)

Reaction score
Although I don't actually have a favorite variety of tomato as I like pretty much any tomato so long as its home grown - if I really had to choose a favorite then it would probably be Italian Plum Tomatoes of which I grow quite a few different varieties of every year - including a Rainbow Mix.

I also grow quite a few varieties of large beefsteak tomatoes and although I was hoping to make a new addition this year with Green Zebra - as the season got off to bad start due to the weather - have landed up only growing the same as in previous years

Black Tula - Brandywine - Giant Pink Belgium - Big Boy and Virginia Sweet - all of which are seriously delicious :)

Reaction score
I love to grow Roma tomatoes, but mostly because they are my favorite tomato to use for homemade spaghetti sauce and ketchup. Plus they make cute little slices for sandwiches.

Reaction score
I prefer to grow sweet 100s, but I always end up growing Beef Steak because they are so good on sandwiches. The little ones just don't do it for me, but I suppose they are fun to grow for fun. Last year I grew a few plants and they came out great. I am kind of proud of myself though, I grew my Tomatoes from seed and now they come up to my waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
My favorite tomato is the little patio cherry tomato, They will grow happily in a pot on thee deck, have bunches of tomatoes, and are the perfect size to grab one or two as you walk by, and pop them into your mouth. The flavor is intense, and you don't have to cut or slice or anything else to eat one.
I actually love just about any kind of home grown tomatoes, since they taste like a tomato should taste like; but the smaller ones seem to ripen faster, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My favorite is one I haven't grown yet. I still plant about half of my tomato patch with varieties that are know to me to be productive but I am convinced that there is the Holy Grail of tomatoes out there just waiting for me to grow it. I've been searching for a long time, came close a few times but still haven't found the perfect tomato. So every year I send off for seeds for tomatoes that I have never heard of in hope of finding the perfect one.

Reaction score
I like growing every tomato type under the sky, but my favourite ones are the more unusual colours, such as a black tomato variety called "Indigo rose". I simply like growing it for the fun of it and because I like to be adventurous. :)

Attachments

• Black-Indigo-Tomatoes.JPG
    Black-Indigo-Tomatoes.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 400
Reaction score
I like growing every tomato type under the sky, but my favourite ones are the more unusual colours, such as a black tomato variety called "Indigo rose". I simply like growing it for the fun of it and because I like to be adventurous. :)

Are you actually growing " Indigo Rose " because if you are - I'm truly envious - as although I'd planned to grow them this year - I was really disappointed to find that I was unable to get hold of the seeds - which although the seeds were due to be released for the first time ever this Spring - they were none to be found and it was only just recently that I found out that - instead of releasing the seeds Worldwide - they had chosen to limit the release to a few plants in a few selected Countries instead of releasing the seeds.

So as it looks like I'm now going to have to wait till next year before I get the chance to grow " Indigo Rose " - would love to know if you are actually growing them and of course whether you like them or not - especially as they are said to be considerably less sweet than regular tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you actually growing " Indigo Rose " because if you are - I'm truly envious - as although I'd planned to grow them this year - I was really disappointed to find that I was unable to get hold of the seeds - which although the seeds were due to be released for the first time ever this Spring - they were none to be found and it was only just recently that I found out that - instead of releasing the seeds Worldwide - they had chosen to limit the release to a few plants in a few selected Countries instead of releasing the seeds.

So as it looks like I'm now going to have to wait till next year before I get the chance to grow " Indigo Rose " - would love to know if you are actually growing them and of course whether you like them or not - especially as they are said to be considerably less sweet than regular tomatoes.
I have just recieved a seed catalogue from www.tomatogrowers.com and they have Indigo Rose seeds. Their item number is 5301

Reaction score
I have just recieved a seed catalogue from www.tomatogrowers.com and they have Indigo Rose seeds. Their item number is 5301

Many thanks - and yes I'm aware that many seed suppliers NOW have the seeds available - but now is no good to me - because as the seeds weren't available in the spring as they were supposed to be - it means that I shall have to wait until next year - as its far too late in the season for me to be sowing tomato seeds - in the hope that they would grow into a productive plant :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many thanks - and yes I'm aware that many seed suppliers NOW have the seeds available - but now is no good to me - because as the seeds weren't available in the spring as they were supposed to be - it means that I shall have to wait until next year - as its far too late in the season for me to be sowing tomato seeds - in the hope that they would grow into a productive plant :(
Oh well. I don't know where you live but had hoped it would be somewhere you could still plant. I will be setting out my fall tomatos next week or the week after.

Reaction score
Oh well. I don't know where you live but had hoped it would be somewhere you could still plant. I will be setting out my fall tomatos next week or the week after.

Although your thoughts were much appreciated - unfortunately not - as although all the fruit and vegetables that I currently have growing will be continually fruiting from now on right through to early October - that doesn't happen if I haven't got everything I want to grow - planted and well established by late May or at the latest early June - as young plants and especially seeds and seedlings really can't cope with the intense heat that we have at this time of year - which as the temperatures from now to early October tend to hover around the 40 C - 48 C mark - means that I shall have to wait until next year to grow my " Indigo Rose " tomatoes - as trying to start them now would be an absolute waste of time and effort,

Ask a Question