Ideas for decorating flower pots

Reaction score
Wow, so many ideas! I think the first one is my favorite.

As for what I do, the only thing I've ever really done is paint them. I love letting the kids help especially because then it makes them more personal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ok, Claudine, this one isn't a flower pot, but I'm sure you could use it as one:

mla103233_0408_afabulous_xl.jpg

Here, a log was drilled out to make room for a vase, but since people plant in old tree stumps I don't see why you couldn't use the log as your flower pot.

This one's for Maddie because of her thread on changing flower colors - a bit off this topic, but I'm feeling lazy:

8b3ed3a4324a5d364a9cd775e25518c5.jpg

The original blog it was posted to seems to have disappeared, but the note with the pin said to split the stem and then place each piece in a different food color to dye the flower.

Reaction score
Ok, Claudine, this one isn't a flower pot, but I'm sure you could use it as one:

mla103233_0408_afabulous_xl.jpg

Here, a log was drilled out to make room for a vase, but since people plant in old tree stumps I don't see why you couldn't use the log as your flower pot.

This one's for Maddie because of her thread on changing flower colors - a bit off this topic, but I'm feeling lazy:

8b3ed3a4324a5d364a9cd775e25518c5.jpg

The original blog it was posted to seems to have disappeared, but the note with the pin said to split the stem and then place each piece in a different food color to dye the flower.

I love the log idea.. Chanell, I want to change the color of the flowers in the plants sweetheart :) We often do this trick with flowers for the altar .. ( church) Sometimes all we get is white flowers and we add a little drama by adding food color to the water. :) Thanks a ton for remembering my question :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, I knew you could add dye to change the color of cut flowers, but I'd never seen anything like this! Just saw something cute I want to add to your garden craft idea thread (if I can find it again, lol). Keep a look out, I think you'll like it.

Reaction score
Oh wow, I love those colored flowers.

I have done it by adding food color before, but only one color. It works best with fresh cut, white flowers. And you can increase the color more by trimming the ends again after a couple days, too.

Reaction score
@Maddie, I knew you could add dye to change the color of cut flowers, but I'd never seen anything like this! Just saw something cute I want to add to your garden craft idea thread (if I can find it again, lol). Keep a look out, I think you'll like it.
Actually I learned of this rainbow colored flower trick from a florist... it works well with woody stems as in roses .. These florist here are always selling blue orchids with purple edges.. .. and I never find them in nature here.. then this lady told me about this trick some ten years ago .I think..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh wow, I love those colored flowers.

I have done it by adding food color before, but only one color. It works best with fresh cut, white flowers. And you can increase the color more by trimming the ends again after a couple days, too.
Jessi, I've seen the ones at the supermarket, usually daisies dyed some weird shade of pink or powder blue not found in nature, lol. I've never seen anything like these roses though.

Actually I learned of this rainbow colored flower trick from a florist... it works well with woody stems as in roses .. These florist here are always selling blue orchids with purple edges.. .. and I never find them in nature here.. then this lady told me about this trick some ten years ago .I think..

Maddie, those orchids must be really interesting to look at. It seems really labor intensive to carefully split the stem of a rose 4 or 5 times to get such variation in color. The roses above are so unusual though that I really want to try it.

Reaction score
Maddie, those orchids must be really interesting to look at. It seems really labor intensive to carefully split the stem of a rose 4 or 5 times to get such variation in color. The roses above are so unusual though that I really want to try it.
Yeah they are expensive but not always beautiful.. some florist achieve the effect to perfection. It is not really labor intensive..you just need a sharp knife to split the stem lightly. I have seen some lovely pastel shades In rainbow colored roses at the florists here.
Carnations are another variety that lend themselves well to this treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah they are expensive but not always beautiful.. some florist achieve the effect to perfection. It is not really labor intensive..you just need a sharp knife to split the stem lightly. I have seen some lovely pastel shades In rainbow colored roses at the florists here.
Carnations are another variety that lend themselves well to this treatment.

Maddie, it seems to me that carnations would be easier because their stems are not as thick as the rose stems. When you dye the flowers, do you put the stem parts into all of the dyes at once, or do you dye each color separately?

Reaction score
Chanell , you need to split the stems into three or four parts depending on the number of colors you want to use. then add food coloring to glasses of water and put each part of the stem into different glasses of colored water. Within 24 to 36 hours you could have your lovely looking rainbow colored flowers.. You need to cut off the split ends at an angle and arrange them in your vase with clear sugar water. It is really easy to do this with roses. Carnations take the color in quickly but cutting the stem may be slightly tricky.. I always use only two colors with carnations if I do this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, I can't wait to try this at some point, thanks!

I think initially I will try only two colors as well. Two colors will still give a tri-colored carnation and won't be all that messy to handle. Actually, maybe I will start with just one color for now. Thanks for the tip about the sugar water.

When you leave the flower for 24 hours to absorb the color, do you have to put it in the fridge?

Reaction score
No you can leave them outside like you do with flowers in a vase.. only you would have added color to the water.. Try it .. it is fun.. I don't do it too often but try it out on occasions for special effects.
I colored my rather bland looking white orchids red and used them for Christmas decorations..They did draw some admiration I should say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Okay, good to know. I'll give it a try once I assemble everything I need in order to do it. It will be fun to experiment with changing the appearance of the flowers.

Ask a Question