Ideas for decorating flower pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do you decorate your flowerpots? This is a thread where we can share some ideas. In my opinion a beautiful plant looks even more beautiful if it grows in a lovely flowerpot:D
Here are some inspirations:

twig+flower+pots.jpg

diy-twine-wrapped-flower-pot-5.jpg

6a014e87106a98970d0168ebb44346970c-pi.jpg

p7170595.jpg

Reaction score
You can also drip paint them and let the paint drip artistically.

0a943e67575c7fcd2393bbd5bda120ea.jpg

You can put socks over them as long as you cut the bottoms off so they can stand.
6cef009fea26c8c25df1f45137157f13.jpg

You can paint them with chalkboard paint so you can write on them.
c0bdd128c41d8d1edf1a42f95b4afff6.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These are lovely ideas! It makes me want to decorate my flowerpots:D
I really like this cones decoration, it looks very natural:

stylowi_pl_diy-zrob-to-sam_935383.jpg

Reaction score
I love this cone decoration Claudine. :) They highlight the beauty of those African violets.. I really like the texture of this one below.
Painting pots and decorating them with tiles and pot pieces have been around for sometime.. This is unique.

I like this one too ..
0d504ab90cadeb5d3fecc2b858747c04.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, I love it too, is it moss? It looks very delicate and natural.

I find this sweater decoration really cute:D :

DSC6959.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, I don't do it currently, but I think I have done it in the past. I love the look of the daises and twig covered container. That would make a great centerpiece! So would the pine cone bowl, that's awesome!

@Maddie, the dimensional wallpaper technique is really cool! The sphagnum covered pot is interesting also; it looks like a basket. I think though instead of that I would use the other moss using the recipe for moss art around the outside of terra cotta. I think it could help hold the moisture naturally without you have to use a sealer on the pot.

@ACSAPA, I love the socks! Only I would paint my pots to look like those designs. I think though, that if you had plastic pots and put sleeves like those, it might possibly help keep plants warm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, I also thought about this, it can keep plants warm - it would be good for my roses because for now I keep them in my attic and it's pretty cold there.
I really like this one but I guess you have to be pretty talented to make something like this; unfortunately I can't crochet. I was trying to learn it a few years ago but it didn't turn out like I had planed:p

popkorn.pl_diy-zrob-to-sam_doniczka-w-sweterku_152039.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine you should try again. When I was young I could crochet a little, but I had trouble understanding the patterns. I tried again a few years ago and now I find it incredibly easy. As far as the results of your efforts, you just have to practice at it. Start with simple projects like potholders and wash cloths.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hmmmm, Maddie, it's an interesting look. If it has drainage, and the pennies are also on the inside, it could actually be good for the plant that lived in it. Seems I read something recently about amending soil by adding pennies. The shiny surface of the coins would also deter some garden pests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I also heard somewhere that adding pennies can be good for a plant but I haven't tried it yet. For sure these pennies look lovely as a decoration:D
ChanellG, I once crocheted something vest-like and I even was courageous enough to wear it in public (only once) because I was so proud but it looked really strange and it was quite embarrassing:p I'm not talented at all...but maybe I'll practice :D

Reaction score
I have added some aluminium coins to my hydrangeas .. in my experiment to change the color of the flowers. I guess adding copper pennies would add that mineral to the soil.. but I like the rather antique look of the pot. I don't know if any thing shiny can deter pests though.. I have a highly polished bright steel container holder.. which does seem to attract ants in summer when it get too hot outside.. Those pesks :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, practice makes perfect. :) Just focus on perfecting the square, then you can make scarves, blankets, etc. Then master the circle and you can make hats, rugs, and then sweaters should be a breeze.

@Maddie, shiny seems to deter flying pests like flies and sometimes birds. Ants are a pain no matter what you do.

Reaction score
What great ideas! I have a pot that was given to me and it has decoupage in a patchwork pattern all over, but I didn't think it would be able to breathe, so I have always used it for holding pencils, sticks and markers. Now, I'm inspired! Of the one's above: the pinecone pot, the crochet covers, the twig pot and jute pot are my favorites!

Ask a Question