I think I killed my Mickey Mouse Taro

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I bought a xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata last Aug 19. It had 2 leaves, one of which already appeared to be yellowing.
20200819_123019.jpg
By Aug 27, that leaf was clearly being sacrificed by the plant in favor of a new leaf that had just unfurled.
Screenshot_20200913-030518_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200913-030644_Video Player.jpg
Almost immediately after the sacrificial leaf fell off, the older of the 2 remaining leaves began yellowing and drooping too, while the younger one kind of plateaued in growth.

The plant is about a foot from a south-facing window, and i watered thoroughly only once every ~1.5 weeks. This was just a guesstimate since the soil felt compacted and was difficult to break through with my finger, even right after watering. Strangely, water seemed to drain pretty well when i did give the plant a drink. Was it even getting properly absorbed by the soil, though?

Anyway, i guess i got impatient and decided that maybe the roots were suffocating in the compacted soil, so i repotted. To my surprise, though, when i finally broke through the old soil, there was no corm--just the stem and maybe 2 inches of roots (sorry, no photo). Knowing that, should i have used a smaller pot? Or not watered so thoroughly right after repotting? That was just 3 days ago. The older leaf is now gone, and the newer leaf is almost completely yellow. Kind of sticky too.
20200913_030904.jpg
Could the plant possibly come back from the dead? Even if it didn't seem to have a corm, can i still just leave the roots in the pot after the last leaf has fallen, and pray for a resurrection? Is it safe to reuse the soil for another plant?

Any advice and/or words of consolation would be greatly appreciated. Every plant is a learning experience, i guess. Thanks for reading through that long story!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi! I've also recently just gotten a mickey mouse so I'm learning the plant right with you! lol but my plant also did the thing where there'd be a leaf that's on its way to dying but a new leaf is also growing at the same time so maybe they really tend to do that? Also I'm sorry but the state of your plant doesn't look too good :(( maybe u damaged the roots? Or maybe it got too shocked when u repotted it? And I doubt that it could "come back from the dead" if you leave the roots to grow in the soil, but I'm no expert! Like I said I also just got a mickey mouse a few weeks ago so still quite new to it. Hope the best for your plant tho! Hope it lives! I love their foliage :)

Also, I've also just repotted my mickey today to a new pot, I'll update you if it goes through the same faith, since our plants seems to be in a very similar situation, again hoping the best for your plant!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
@Elliejoy123 Hi! I wanted to update you (and anyone else reading this) about my plant. It's back! Giving myself a pat on the back for this one hahaha. Guess the panic/worry was misplaced. I didn't cut off the last sad looking leaf till i saw a new one about to unfurl.

20200916_102725.jpg
(Photo taken on Sep 16, just 3 days after my original post)

The new leaf is quite small, but really pretty :love:
I watered the soil only when the top 2 inches was really dry, and left the pot in the same spot near a south-facing window. The plant would get 200-400 FC indirect sunlight on good days, and I supplemented with growlights when it was cloudy. Now the plant is giving me a second leaf. It looks like it'll also be small, but i still love staring at it. Super cute! Best part: no signs of yellowing on the first leaf *yet*. Fingers crossed the plant will manage to sustain more than two leaves. If it really can't, then i'll just have to accept that it's probably not my fault anymore :)

20200930_150259.jpg 20200930_152433.jpg
(Photos taken just now )

Wishing you and your Xantho lots of luck! ♡

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
That's so nice to hear! good job!! Unfortunately my plant didn't do as well as yours lol, as I repotted mine it also started to droop drastically, my dad recommended that we put it outside on a shaded place so that it gets better air and etc, when the two leaves died it also actually came back from the dead! I was shocked lol didn't know plants could do that! lol but since it was outside, it got heavily rained on and I think the poor little thing couldn't withstand the harsh weather :( I already took the empty pot out of its spot but i'm still clinging to a bit of hope that it would be revived for the second time lol

Great job on your plant tho!! Truly amazed me! I hope it continues to be healthy and no more yellowing leaves! :)

Ask a Question