I think I killed it...but what was it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I remember it have striking green leaves last year. Sadly it looks pretty rough now. Any idea what it was and if it will come back from this state?
20170315_172532.jpg
20170315_172541.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No idea on what it was. In the thread title, you say "I think I killed it..." o_O What did you do to it?? Zone 8, and no sign of greenery on it, I don't have much hope for it.

Scrape a little of the bark off... if there's green, living wood underneath, it might come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No idea on what it was. In the thread title, you say "I think I killed it..." o_O What did you do to it?? Zone 8, and no sign of greenery on it, I don't have much hope for it.

Scrape a little of the bark off... if there's green, living wood underneath, it might come back.

Actually, I didn't DO anything. Perhaps that part of the problem? It does get water 3x week on the sprinkler system. Other than that I don't really do anything with it.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you say in another post that you just bought the house? (The reason I'm asking is that I am curious as to what it looked like last fall.)

Watering three times a week seems excessive to me. Plants need to dry out a bit between watering. Anything I have planted in the ground outside, only gets watered once a week, maybe even a week and a half - and that's only if it doesn't rain in that time period. If it rains an inch within the week, I won't water at all. Container plants, I'll water more often, but they dry out quicker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you say in another post that you just bought the house? (The reason I'm asking is that I am curious as to what it looked like last fall.)

Watering three times a week seems excessive to me. Plants need to dry out a bit between watering. Anything I have planted in the ground outside, only gets watered once a week, maybe even a week and a half - and that's only if it doesn't rain in that time period. If it rains an inch within the week, I won't water at all. Container plants, I'll water more often, but they dry out quicker.

We moved in last winter. I don't recall what it looked like then. It did have nice green leaves over the summer though.

As for the watering, I may try to adjust my schedule a bit. Ill have to play with the zones and see whats what though. I know some on here aren't fans of irrigation systems, I guess I see why. Its hard to use them to water the grass without getting the rest of the plants. I do have a rain gauge on it, so it should skip a watering if it is raining or has rained in the last 24 hrs (don't recal the level..1/4"? Maybe...have to check).

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
1/4" just seems like a teaser. It's enough to keep the foliage green, but not really enough for the roots. If you water deeply, less often, it encourages the plants to dig their roots deeper into the soil, which gives them more access to nutrients, and makes for healthier, sturdier plants.

I don't know, maybe Florida is different, and you should wait for someone closer to your zone to answer, but my grass doesn't brown in a week. :confused: (I don't water my grass at all. If it browns, oh well, it won't need mowed as soon. ;) )

Can you set the irrigation system to water the yard 1" once a week? I think that would be enough to keep the majority of grass and plants happy. (y) If a plant needs more water, you could always supplement them individually with a bucket or hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yeah, Ill have to double check the numbers. I don't think each zone goes for very long though. I can reprogram the times, but im not real sure about how to convert that to a depth. I'm a little new to some of this so Ill have to learn. I will look at my irrigation program and look at cutting back.

...now about that mystery plant?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's what I've got for whether it will live.
I hope someone can tell you what it is/was, but it's going to be rough on them - it just looks like a couple of dead leaves on a stick to me. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's what I've got for whether it will live.
I hope someone can tell you what it is/was, but it's going to be rough on them - it just looks like a couple of dead leaves on a stick to me. :(
Yeah, I figure as much. Might dig through some old pics and see if I have something with it in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
If root has not been too dried, water it, it might grow some leaves.

I have drip line still I love to spend some time with my plants, I manually water some of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The rings on the stem suggest it could be a Sedum. The stems die back at the end of the growing season and it will re-shoot from the base eventually. This is my Sedum in the foreground of the picture.

Sedum (2).JPG

This is an internet picture showing the new shoots. The old ones can be cut back to the base of the plant.

upload_2017-3-18_21-9-33.png

Ask a Question