Xanthosoma albo marginata (Mickey Mouse)

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi, anyone here has the Xanthosama albo marginata as a houseplant? It seems to die out quite quickly and so far i've only managed to have 1 stalk at most. When a new stalk emerges, the existing stalk dies out. Is this the case with Xanthosama albo marginata in general? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like your mickey mouse taro is not getting enough oxygen from too wet of soil. Your container may be too large, Make sure your container has good drainage and use RO or filtered water only. Since they grow from bulbs you will only get so many stalks before the plant uses up its reserves. I hope that's not the case now. Keep you container small to limit the amount of water the plant gets.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Sounds like your mickey mouse taro is not getting enough oxygen from too wet of soil. Your container may be too large, Make sure your container has good drainage and use RO or filtered water only. Since they grow from bulbs you will only get so many stalks before the plant uses up its reserves. I hope that's not the case now. Keep you container small to limit the amount of water the plant gets.

Hi oneeye, thanks for helping out once again! I usually only water it when the soil is almost completely dry and they are potted in quite well draining soil mix. As you can see from the pictures attached, the newer stalk emerged from the older one (slanted) and the older stalk is now dying and yellowing :( Somehow it can't seem to have 2 or more stalks alive at the same time.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-29 at 4.35.50 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-29 at 4.35.50 PM (1).jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,021
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-29 at 4.35.50 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-29 at 4.35.50 PM.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 679
Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are not stems they are leaf slips. Your plant is doing quite well so just continue doing what you are doing . This unusually variegated plant has leaves which when first opening, its edges are a cream yellow, later turning white. Your Ok.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Those are not stems they are leaf slips. Your plant is doing quite well so just continue doing what you are doing . This unusually variegated plant has leaves which when first opening, its edges are a cream yellow, later turning white. Your Ok.

Yap, thats right, the yellow leaf is actually a new one that came out and the one on the right is the older leaf, which is dying. Just curious why it can't sustain more then 2 leaves at once with 1 leaf dying when a new leaf is out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
NOT enough light is your problem, they need a lot of sunlight just like Elephant ears. Elephant ears need bright sunlight when grown indoors, There is not enough light to sustain more than one leaf. You need more light. Thanks for the super question because I learned a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
NOT enough light is your problem, they need a lot of sunlight just like Elephant ears. Elephant ears need bright sunlight when grown indoors, There is not enough light to sustain more than one leaf. You need more light. Thanks for the super question because I learned a lot.

Hmm, i see i see. Okay i will try to give it more light and see how it goes! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you for all the information! I just came across this beautiful plant and I’m having trouble finding proper information about it!
when you say they need a lot of light is that direct or indirect sunlight? And can you propagate in water?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi, anyone here has the Xanthosama albo marginata as a houseplant? It seems to die out quite quickly and so far i've only managed to have 1 stalk at most. When a new stalk emerges, the existing stalk dies out. Is this the case with Xanthosama albo marginata in general? Thanks!

Hi! I'm having the same issue with my mickey mouse Xantho. Can't seem to sustain more than 2 leaves at a time. Was wondering if there were any changes with your plant since last April?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Im having the same problem!! I just got mine and it’s start to droop!!

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Im having the same problem!! I just got mine and it’s start to droop!!

same here!! The leaf is starting to yellow and starting to droop, i thought it was because of overwater, but surprisingly the new baby is coming out fast. So i have no idea what is going on here. I read all the previous posts and everyone has the same problem with their xanthosoma.

Attachments

• F13B3B6C-9614-4236-9A06-25BD3F6F722C.jpeg
    F13B3B6C-9614-4236-9A06-25BD3F6F722C.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 309
  • A3F50BD4-7826-4333-A985-7C49AA6CB252.jpeg
    A3F50BD4-7826-4333-A985-7C49AA6CB252.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 246
  • C71692BC-4E99-4E08-BB31-9081E8D6F2A4.jpeg
    C71692BC-4E99-4E08-BB31-9081E8D6F2A4.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • 1E9CD838-FB5E-4FBB-B723-351ABE9E7E25.jpeg
    1E9CD838-FB5E-4FBB-B723-351ABE9E7E25.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi, same problem also with my Mickey Mouse. When a new leaf is sprouting, another leaf dies. Sadly, it could only sustain two leaves. I'll place it outside with lots of sun. Let's see if it works.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Omg that's been happening to me. One new stem took out too of my other stems and leaves. It's crazy the energy they feed off. This is just the comment I needed to. I sprinkle on some cinamon after I removed the dead debris in hopes she would heal quickly but yes. Same bloody problem and she is such a beautiful plant to want around for her elegant leaves. Not for months either.

Ask a Question