I need ideas.

Reaction score
I love contrasting colors, especially black and white. I have one bed started that has lily of the valley and "Queen of the Night" tulips. I also have a white bleeding heart (alba) that I absolutely love. What is something (maybe a dark purple or blue) that would contrast well with it and thrive in the shade?

Reaction score
There are numerous plants to choose from that would suit your requirements, but without knowing what type of climate you live in, it is a little difficult to be too specific - but here are few plants that grow in shady areas and would compliment what you already have growing

Ajuga Reptans - Burgundy Glow

ajuga burgundy glow.jpg

ajuga burgundy glow 1.jpg

Hellebores comes in all shades of purple and Black Diamond is a nice one

helleborus-black-diamond2.jpg

as is Black Beauty

Helleborus_x_hybridus_Black_Beauty_.jpg

Liriope Muscari comes in variegated forms as well as all shades of blue and purple

Liriope muscari.jpg

Liriope muscari 1.jpg

What do you think - are these the sort of plants you would like ?

Reaction score
I like the hellebores. I already have plenty of ajuga. It tends to be invasive. The lirope would work good, too. I can get tons of it for free or almost free. What about the purple pansies that look like velvet? I saw some on those my way home from work this morning. Those usually last all year if you put them in the shade an mulch them. It's hard because I like them all!

Reaction score
To be honest although I think all three choices would look good - I think that Hellebores would be the best choice, as not only are they evergreen but have a long flowering period of around 5 months, plus the fact that you would be absolutely spoilt for choice in terms of color - as there are literally hundreds and hundreds of colors to chose from and think that mixing in some Liriope too - would make a wonderful sight, especially as you can get hold of some Liriope for free :)

As for pansies I didn't suggest them as they normally require quite a lot of sun, because when planted in too much shade they become rather leggy, which I think spoils their beauty somewhat, however there is one variety that is a cross between a viola and a pansy that would suit more shady conditions and that is Pansy Viola x Wittrockiana and as you like the purple ones here are a few to choose from

Dynamite Purple

Pansy Viola Dynamite purple.jpg

Delta - Pure Violet

pansy viola delta pureviolet.jpg

Dynamite - Beacon Blue

pansy viola dynamite beacon blue.jpg

I forgot to ask in my post yesterday - when you said you were looking for plants that would thrive in shade - what kind of shade do you mean - partial shade, meaning that the plants would get at least a few hours of sun each day, dappled shade or do you mean full shade - as knowing this - would make it easier to know what to suggest :D

Reaction score
Purple impatiens might be a good choice. Impatiens love the shade and do well there. I also agree with the purple pansies which a previous poster has already suggested. Pansies tend to be hardy plants which like the shade.

Reaction score
I love dark coloured flowers. My favourites are Hello Darkness Irises, Purple Velvet Petunias, Black Cat Petunias, Purple Pansies, Black Beauty Liliums, Black Knight Butterfly Bush, Black Magics(they are similar to Elephant Ears), and Black Pearl Cala Lilies. All can have sun to partial sun. All are beautiful, smell lovely, of course Black Magics don't smell, but the are fun to watch grow and unfold their "ears".

Reaction score
I love dark coloured flowers. My favourites are Hello Darkness Irises, Purple Velvet Petunias, Black Cat Petunias, Purple Pansies, Black Beauty Liliums, Black Knight Butterfly Bush, Black Magics(they are similar to Elephant Ears), and Black Pearl Cala Lilies. All can have sun to partial sun. All are beautiful, smell lovely, of course Black Magics don't smell, but the are fun to watch grow and unfold their "ears".

I think those would also look really stunning with the bright orange Tropicana canna lilies mixed in! That would really have some contrast!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love the idea of the purple impatiens in the yard. Impatients are easy to care for plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I were you, I'd choose dark irises. They're truly gorgeous plants and they come in many different colors, so I'm sure you'll easily find a variety perfect for your garden.
This looks really nice:

irises-darks-and-light-blue-2.jpg

Ask a Question