I love crocuses

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm bipolar and suffer with depression, especially during the winter. This winter has been especially hard for me. However, today was sunny and I decided to make myself get out and go for a walk. As I passed my mailbox, I discovered four little crocuses blooming. What a delight. While I know that spring is still a long way away, and we still have a lot of winter to deal with, seeing these little purple flowers was so uplifting. It's funny how such a small insignificant flower can have such a huge impact on my spirit!! It reminds me that winter will eventually end and spring will follow, physically and metaphorically. Thank you Mother Nature for crocuses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you could plant all the species and forms of Crocus, you can have them in flower for 10 months of the year. They are not keen on June and July.
In our previous garden we had hundreds of them, but here the corms get eaten by mice so we have only a few in the gravel where the mice cannot get at them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That little purple flower wouldn't by chance be a saffron crocus would it? If so, you can harvest the saffron (the world's most expensive cooking spice) and take your happiness into the kitchen! I am hoping to grow them myself in the not too distant future. I've read they are perennial once established.

Reaction score
I love them too. I believe they are known to be the first flower to bloom every year. It's so nice to see the color. We have many evergreens here, but I still appreciate something new besides the same green.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Saffron Crocus normally flower in September. They are not that easy to grow here as they need more summer heat than we usually get. So if you have a well drained soil which gets nicely baked in Summer, then give them a go.
All Crocus are perennial, except where they are eaten up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wish I could grow saffron in my yard as I would be a very rich lady. At the grocery stores here you can buy a very tiny glass jar of "hairs" (this is what I call them) and it will run you about $20. The stuff is so expensive that i never buy it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Galmal, I've been depressed lately too, so my boyfriend gave me a lot of beautiful, white roses to cheer me up. I feel better whenever I look at them. I love surrounding myself with beauty:)

Ask a Question