I don't mean to toot my own horn but.....TOOT TOOT!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So some years back my mom was putting some ferns she didn't want out on the side of the street. An older lady stopped to pick them up. My mom and her started talking and became sorta kinda friends. The lady's husband had passed away and she was on a fixed income and couldn't afford to buy plants. Ever since then my mom has been giving the plants she either has no room for or just doesn't feel like taking the time to care to this lady.

I have way too many plants. I simply do not have the room to keep them and add any new ones and there are a few things I would still like to do before the spring. So I put together a box of plants and took them to my moms. Mom said her friend was beside herself with joy.

So we have 2 dwarf myrtles from seed, a gardenia, 3 ficus, and a fuchsia David. Also include are trays and pebbles for her to supply humidity.
20151130_093348.jpg

20151130_093641.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
You are like my husband. He would scatter seeds from the leftover of what we eat particularly the fruits like sugar apple or vegetables like pepper. The plants would grow by themselves and what he does is to replant the seedlings in soft plastic pots. This Christmas, some of those plants will become gifts to friends especially to those who had requested for seedlings. I find is a good gift item - those plants in cute plastic pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I will indirectly do the same thing. Have had too many plants, so I put an add in the paper, Free (and what ever the plant name) you dig you pot, you take. I get people, and then the area cleared out that I want for free labor. LOL.
For two years been "giving away" my extra Virginia blue bells, have this one man who came both springs took out many buckets for his garden. By the way, will still have tons left that will surface this spring.
But your nice, @Java Guy , you pot them up so nice.
This fall just trimmed out my hardy geraniums, did pot up those. hope to get homes for them soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't have many houseplants, but those that I do have are prolific! I pot up babies in 6" pots, find some kind of ceramic container at the local thrift store to put the pots in, and take them to the local "old folk's home". I always include a card about the care and watering of the plant, and since the plants have survived my care (?) I'm sure they will do well for their new owners.
Gardeners are such nice, sharing people. My hat is off to Corzhens and her husband, Java Guy, and Esther. You are true gardeners in the very best sense of the word!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a lady in the neighborhood that sets her plants that she no longer wants on the curb with a note that they are free for who ever wants them. I got some daylilies from her. The plants look great in my yard. When I see her out in the yard working I always give her a report on the plants I got from her. I did appreciate her gift. I like to give plants as gifts when I repot my plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was so nice of you to pot them up and giving away! They all look so good and healthy. I don't have too many house plants and I would have loved to receive this box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ok, I see, @Java Guy his plants are house plants he is giving away. Just to be clear, the ones I give away are outdoor ground plants. I keep my house plant to a very minimum. Have one of my houseplants next year I will have to split, already have a person who wants the division, the plant is a Queens Tears. See picture.
phantom and tears..jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Esther, I wish I had a bunch of outdoor plants and trees to dig up and give away. I don't have my own house yet so I have to stick to my container plants for now. Eventually though.....boy do I have some plans for some land when I get my hands on my own!!

I was looking at the plant and the flowers, thinking I had never seen that before and how well it is growing indoors. I guess I was slightly distracted because then I wondered how you got your cat and the parrot to get along so well. Then I realized the parrot wasn't real :confused:

Ask a Question