I broke the shoot on my raspberry cane :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I ordered an organic raspberry cane and after a month it finally had a shoot sprouting until I broke it! I am so sad:( Is there any chance shoots heal and continue to grow? Will the cane send up another shoot perhaps? Or is it likely this plant is not going to make it? My fault for not being patient and poking around! But after a month it was hard to wait....wanted to see if I was sent a dead cane.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have raspberries growing wild around here and they seem pretty much indestructible! Scratch the woody part of the stem...if it's green its still good. If dry and woody, probably not. I don't see how breaking off a new shoot would harm the plant. So if it is truly dead (and assuming you planted and cared for it per instructions) I'd ask for a replacement or refund.

And if you are in mid-Michigan and want organic raspberry plants I can help lol. They are invasive at my place, I periodically have to uproot volunteers from the oddest places.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The cane is still green! Feeling optimistic :) I am going to leave it alone and try to be more patient! I am in southeastern MI, about 30 min outside of Detroit. We head to the west side often during the summer months. I would love to get more canes. I paid $30 for 2 canes on Amazon!! Appreciate the help and reply, Beth :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yay! And too funny. I'm just north of Flint. I have a big tangle of rasberries at the back of my side yard, no clue how to go about transplanting or propogating them though. And I just discovered one growing under a hosta. Give me a heads up if you plan on being out this way! :)
20160603_073102.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I doubt breaking a shoot will be much of a problem and you mentioned it's still green so you should be good. Raspberries plants are crazy resilient. I had some at my old house and now that we've moved I want to plant some. I thought I spied a few wild raspberry bushes in the wooded area at the back of the house though, I'll have to take a closer look. And the best part is that wooded area is on my land so if that's the case, I already have some! I do love raspberries, so good in just about anything. I'd like to make a raspberry crumble, I found a recipe on Pinterest that looks promising.

Ask a Question