Broken Nik Nak Gardens - Am I the only one?

Reaction score
I have two kids, one is 39 years old and I am married to him. Over the years my off-spring and he have gotten a bit wild and broken nik-naks and items in my home. I used to get very upset.

Now, I take a deep breath and move whatever it is outside into a little garden, a corner garden, or even just little hidden gardens.

This picture contains two broken and one decaying/old items. The white indian woman was some sort of teepee thing that someone gave to me. I used to keep it in the house filled will glass pebbles and glass eggs. That is, until, you guessed it, it got broken. The bottom was nearly broken completely out, so I moved it into this garden and the succulents claimed it for home!

The other item is a music box that the music box feel out of and could not be remounted. That's the bee looking item.

Lastly is the round dragonfly tea light/candle container. The mosaic glass on it is falling off, so I decided to make it part of this garden instead of throwing in out.

Attachments

• whiteindianwoman2.jpg
    whiteindianwoman2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 467

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a great idea to keep your memories of gifts that gone the way of people having too much fun in the house. I have lost a few items that way also but was quick enough to put them in a garden before someone decided it was trash and dumped it for me. I had a pot I had rescued finally decided what I wanted to do with it. I was a little to late it was dumped as trash. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is a nice idea! If those items are dear to you, it's great that you found a way to keep them:) Personally, I prefer not to decorate my garden, because in my opinion plants are pretty enough. I'm a fan of simplicity:) I'm thinking about putting a few mirrors there though:)

Reaction score
What a wonderful idea! I am all for recycling and you have done exactly that. I think it adds a whimsical touch to the garden. I think that the next time something gets broke around my house I will do this exact same thing. Thank you so much for the idea. I am sure that many of us will begin doing this!

Reaction score
@Pat you mentioned a pot; I love using old clay pots that crack in half. It's so easy to fill with dirt and slip in a plant; I usually put in a succulent.

@claudine I've never done mirrors, but I've always wanted to buy or make those little ones that hang on strings (a strand of tiny mirrors) and hang them from the trees, but afraid some bird will get caught up in them!

@Shellyann36 If you ever get around to doing it I would love to see your creation!

It doesn't have to be in a big garden, so it can be a private place that doesn't get much outside traffic just for you; as I said I have them in little corner gardens, like the one in my back yard, I"m the only one to see it or someone really close to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine I've never done mirrors, but I've always wanted to buy or make those little ones that hang on strings (a strand of tiny mirrors) and hang them from the trees, but afraid some bird will get caught up in them!
This sounds lovely!:) Are you talking about a decoration like this one?:

DIY_mirror_curtain.jpg

I would worry about birds too though, they may be confused if they see something so shiny.

Reaction score
Yes, those are they! Someone I know used to make and sell them at some ungodly amount so that I never bought them. We get some terrible wind here and all I could think of was the mess of a tangle in the trees, and again the birdies!

You know, those would be pretty on a in-house giant Christmas tree though!

Reaction score
I like your idea to reuse things! I am especially fond of your Indian woman, she looks so mysterious. I have made wind chimes, kind of like those, but with broken colored glass. They lasted amazingly well in the wind, but I would have to untangle them a lot. I have been saving broken plates and such to turn into a mosaic table. I just could not bare to throw away the dinner set my grandma gave me. I end up breaking stuff a lot, so I just have been saving pieces in a box.

Reaction score
Thank you @Mariam! If you ever discover a way for windchimes to not tangle let me know! I tried using colorful straws over the string one year, it worked well for awhile then after a horrific windstorm even those became entangled. There were kind of ugly before anyway!

I love your idea of saving broken glass! I have a friend doing the same think except her idea is once the kiddos move out she wants to turn on room in her house into a library. She wants to take the glass (clear glass) and make a mosaic window in there. I don't know blame you for wanting to keep your grandmother's dishes; that is a wonderful idea to keep them as a keepsake!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, those are they! Someone I know used to make and sell them at some ungodly amount so that I never bought them. We get some terrible wind here and all I could think of was the mess of a tangle in the trees, and again the birdies!

You know, those would be pretty on a in-house giant Christmas tree though!
This is a lovely idea! I like simple decorations, I always find them the most stunning. If I celebrated Christmas, I'd decorate my tree only with tiny mirrors:)
I think they would also look pretty if they were hung indoors, near a window.

Reaction score
I have two kids, one is 39 years old and I am married to him. Over the years my off-spring and he have gotten a bit wild and broken nik-naks and items in my home. I used to get very upset.

Now, I take a deep breath and move whatever it is outside into a little garden, a corner garden, or even just little hidden gardens.

This picture contains two broken and one decaying/old items. The white indian woman was some sort of teepee thing that someone gave to me. I used to keep it in the house filled will glass pebbles and glass eggs. That is, until, you guessed it, it got broken. The bottom was nearly broken completely out, so I moved it into this garden and the succulents claimed it for home!

The other item is a music box that the music box feel out of and could not be remounted. That's the bee looking item.

Lastly is the round dragonfly tea light/candle container. The mosaic glass on it is falling off, so I decided to make it part of this garden instead of throwing in out.

This is a cute idea. I wish I'd thought of this before I tossed out my broken Buddha statue. Thanks for sharing your picture, it looks cool.

Reaction score
I have put broken plates in the garden a few times. I attempted a mosaic, but it did not work out that way :cautious:. I think your garden looks nice @SassyLife . Sometimes I just don't have the heart to let go of my broken Nik Naks especially if they belonged to my grandmother or a family member who is no longer here.

Reaction score

What a lovely idea. You can beautify your garden while simultaneously recycling and reusing broken items.
I don't do this myself. To me, plants are the best way to beautify a garden. However, I think this is a creative idea. I commend you for doing this.

Reaction score
I saw this on Pinterest. This person saved up their broken pottery fragments to make a colorful ground cover.
8b244a37e81f56bb28e8700467476c95.jpg

Ask a Question