Hydrangea Help

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Monty was talking potatoes with some green bit, not the whole green potatoes. Just cut off the green bit and the eyes where the concentration is highest. I have eaten them and I am still here. He didn't mean the whole potato was green, just the tip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Righto, now then, some years back Zigs told me about the time he was cooking (fortunately just for himself and not his kids) and he had one huge potato with just a small green part on it. Although he knew about the solanine, he decided to cut that bit off and use the rest.
He regretted it! After a lengthy spell on the ''throne'' he felt really ill and shaky - and a bit stupid he said because he knew what the chances were.
The thing is, if you know this could happen, it's best to steer clear.

Your comments @DirtMechanic regarding other sources of solanine are a bit concerning, especially for some people more prone to problems :dead:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very good points about the solanine @DirtMechanic :)

I've had poisoning from too much tomato juice too.

When a potato is exposed to light the bit exposed turns green because of the chlorophyll in it. What we can't see is that solanine is produced throughout the entire tuber as a reaction to light.

Cutting off the green bit doesn't cut off the solanine.

Monty's advice the other night was dangerous to say the least, and could prove fatal to an unborn child :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Righto, now then, some years back Zigs told me about the time he was cooking (fortunately just for himself and not his kids) and he had one huge potato with just a small green part on it. Although he knew about the solanine, he decided to cut that bit off and use the rest.
He regretted it! After a lengthy spell on the ''throne'' he felt really ill and shaky - and a bit stupid he said because he knew what the chances were.
The thing is, if you know this could happen, it's best to steer clear.

Your comments @DirtMechanic regarding other sources of solanine are a bit concerning, especially for some people more prone to problems :dead:
Being alarmist may be my only fun. Well thats what I tell the taxman anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Very good points about the solanine @DirtMechanic :)

I've had poisoning from too much tomato juice too.

When a potato is exposed to light the bit exposed turns green because of the chlorophyll in it. What we can't see is that solanine is produced throughout the entire tuber as a reaction to light.

Cutting off the green bit doesn't cut off the solanine.

Monty's advice the other night was dangerous to say the least, and could prove fatal to an unborn child :confused:
You would say that just when I went through a good number of tomatoes for a stellar spaghetti recipe. I was going to boil the pasta in the tomato juice. Maybe all this rain we have had everyday for what seems like all summer will have had a thinning effect.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You would say that just when I went through a good number of tomatoes for a stellar spaghetti recipe. I was going to boil the pasta in the tomato juice. Maybe all this rain we have had everyday for what seems like all summer will have had a thinning effect.

I did drink a whole litre (2.11338 U.S. pints) :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I did drink a whole litre (2.11338 U.S. pints) :D
Yeah well...I had a bit more.
PXL_20210725_225429380_resize_85.jpg

I did the noodles in water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, last year we had 106 tomato plants in the greenhouse and I made gallons and gallons (English measurement) of tomato based sauces. So many tomatoes it reminded me of my second son. When he was a child I'd tell him about the vitamin C , and one day he peered on his plate at the squashed tomato and asked me if those things were the vitamin seeds :rolleyes:

Ask a Question