New hydrangea......frost.....help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! This is my first post. Very new to gardening of any kind.

I purchased a Blue Enchantress hydrangea (reblooming) this week and planted it. The weather has suddenly gone wild and we have had one night around 32° and 2 more nights this week with forecasted frosts/freezes (min temp 28°). I covered my plant 2 nights ago with the first frost with towels but all of leaves that were about to flower turned brown anyway!

With two more nights of frost coming should I dig it back up, pot it, and move it inside at night? Or just keep covering it and hope for the best?

I was told by a patient of mine "don't plant anything before Derby." Sound Kentucky advice.....I should have listened! lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear about the recent frosts, how big is the shrub? Hydrangeas are usually pretty hardy, so it's surprising that it was so badly affected!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty small. This is a pic when I planted a few days ago. Excuse the landscape rock......going to touch that up next week!

Attachments

• 20160401_160006.jpg
    20160401_160006.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I cannot speak to what to do next, dig it up or cover it as I'm not sure the condition that is it currently in and alike and how receptive hydrangea are to digging and replanting especially if already stressed.

I would suggest that if you do leave it out don't use a towel, see if you can get a frost cover material from a local home and garden store or nursery. When using it, cut it to size, making sure that it touches the ground all the way around, but does not rest on the plant.

You want it on the ground as cold air sinks and stays low so protect the bottom and you want it off the plant as it is a load on the plant itself and I personally feel it insulates better when not on the plant. Just put a few small sticks that are taller then the plant around the plant and secure the material to the sticks (I use the little bamboo sticks sold for tying up plants for support). If you buy some of the frost fabric get a few little clips in the hardware section, they work great. Do uncover as opportunity presents and remove when danger of frost is gone.

Also the general consensus with many plants is do not remove the frost bitten part until all danger of frost is done. The damaged portions can help protect the non damage portions by continuing to take the cold hits and protecting the non damaged portions.

I have a few plumerias that got frost bite over the winter :( and I think if I would have adhered to above I might not have. They didn't go to the ground and lifted on some edges exposing the plant. I also feel there was damage where the fabric was touching the plant. Plan is to cut off the damaged portion later today but in doing so you change the shape and growth pattern of the plumeria and impact this seasons flowering :(

Examples below, but shop and support local merchants and nurseries as possible :)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jobe-s-O...MERCH=RV-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-203286149-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardener-s-Blue-Ribbon-5-ft-Bamboo-Plant-Stakes-6-Pack-BB5/100619188

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-4-in-Mini-Spring-Clamp-80001/100656782

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it were me and the temp are going down very low I would dig it up. It's only one shrub and it looks fairly small. Just leave the whole open and plop it back in after the weather clears. Hope this helps, please like the comment if it does.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are at least 3 more nights of frost forecasted this week! I'm leaning toward potting it and bringing it inside the garage each night and putting it back out in the morning once the sun's out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I potted it this afternoon. Look at the poor thing : (

Attachments

• 20160404_165551.jpg
    20160404_165551.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 311
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok so I potted it this afternoon. Look at the poor thing : (

For what it's worth, I think you made the right call. You don't say where you live or in what gardening zone but here in mid-Michigan we're not frost-free until late May or early June. I think in the long run your hydrangea will thank you. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Also the general consensus with many plants is do not remove the frost bitten part until all danger of frost is done. The damaged portions can help protect the non damage portions by continuing to take the cold hits and protecting the non damaged portions.

Plumerias would be an exception to above (not one of the many) as I found out yesterday. If frost bitten, plumerias should be attended to right away as the damaged continually expands if not attended to. Yesterday I had to cut away 2-3 years of growth off my best plumeria :cry: Not much more than a stump now. :unsure:

So with many plants it's applicable, but not with all so be sure and check.

Ask a Question