Hydrangea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi!

I jumped the gun and bought 4 hydrangeas When I haven't even finished my yard projects lol. (I have ZERO control over flower shopping)

I plan to put them in bigger pots for now. My question is, can I leave them in the pots during winter stored in the garage? Then plant them in the ground next spring? I am in zone 5

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, as long as you provide adequate water, fertilize during the growing season (not in the winter or after they go dormant in the Fall) and provide some morning sun (shade after 10-11am or so during the summer months). If the stay in the plastic pot becomes extended, it may be necessary to amend the potting soil to acidify it if you notice signs of iron chlorosis in the leaves. When I am not sure of sunlight during the summer months, I leave them in their plastic pots in the spot I plan to plant them in and evaluate just how much sun they really get so I do not have to transplant after planting. I once went over a year because I forgot to plant them once temperatures receded in the Fall! When you finally plant them in the ground, you may be need to check to see if they are root bound. Remember that since they are new. they may wilt a lot during the summer once temps are above 85F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Thank you! This is a big help! They are dying, so I will look for a hydrangea fertilizer. I decided to put them in the ground on the side of the house that gets morning sun up until 10ish. It may get about an hour of afternoon sun in that location. I hope I can bring them back :)

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
these limelight hydrangeas get full sun, helps to know what variety you have!

DSCF4638 (2).JPG

Ask a Question