Help ID Hydrangeas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bought two hydrangeas today. Both are supposed to be Endless Summer, but they look different. One has a red stem. The other has a green stem. See the two photos. Are these two different hydrangeas?
Hydrangea-left.JPG
Hydrangea-right.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Probably the same variety just like brother and sisters have slightly different characteristics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two different varieties......I think the flowers will be darker too. Possibly, probably, the lighter one will have white flowers Jonereb. Usually I find it is easy to tell which plants will flower white in a colour mix, for example
Post pictures when they flower......:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Both pots and tags on the pots said Endless Summer. Are you saying one is NOT an Endless Summer? When I looked at Endless Summer photos online, the plants had red stems. So it's possible that the other plant with a green stem and lighter leaves is NOT Endless Summer. I've planted them side by side, so I want them to be the same.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most clearly jonereb, they are NOT the same, they wont become the same either if it is the colour you are thinking about.
The same variety,,viz., Endless Summer, different coloured flowers. The pale will likely be a white, my preference colour for hydrangeas :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same name, but with three different colours - red, pink and white .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I guess I'll wait until next summer to see what colors I get. If they're close -- pink and/or blue with some purple, I'll be okay with that. But I fear a white beside a mixed color will look off balance. I can always transplant next fall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty confident you have a white one there jonereb. I will eat my hat if
I am wrong ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
UPDATE: One of the hydrangeas has a small bloom as of Oct. 13, 2017. It's pinkish - purpleish. I haven't had my soil tested. However, when I planted the two hydrangeas, I completely dug out the clay soil and replaced it with a garden mix purchased from a big box retailer. The point of this thread was to identify the two hydrangeas. When I purchased them at another big box retailer, they were labeled "Endless Summer", but if you look at the other photos I posted in this thread, the two plants are obviously different. BTW, the bloom is from the plant with the green stems, not the red stems. (see orig. post in this thread).
HydrangeaBloom-cu.JPG

Attachments

• HydrangeaBloom-ws.JPG
    HydrangeaBloom-ws.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I guess I'll wait until next summer to see what colors I get. If they're close -- pink and/or blue with some purple, I'll be okay with that. But I fear a white beside a mixed color will look off balance. I can always transplant next fall.
That is if it wants to bloom next summer. they are finicky, some like to settle in for a couple years before they bloom. So, transplanting it might discourage it to bloom for a while. I have 13 types in my many gardens. Somehow ended up with a great color combo. some blues, some pink to reds, creams and cream to pink. And still have one in one position for 5 years who will not give up a bloom. no reason, its in a good spot. puzzled still. but that is them.

Ask a Question