Hydrangea cuttings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I hope you are well
My Nan passed away and her house is due for completion tomorrow. As a lasting memory, I have several cuttings from a hydrangea in her garden.
What guarantees these to root and grow please? I need this to be successful
Kind regards and thank you
Sarah

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Sarah, Nice fresh cuttings as the growing season starts would be good. you need bits with a couple of healthy leaves at the top and about two inches of stem underneath.
It doesn't matter if there is a node at the bottom or not because these will root inter-nodally. If the leaves at the top are a bit big, you can cut them in half with a nice clean sharp blade. I'll see if I can find a diagram for you. Keep your cuttings in a shady place, maybe a window sill facing north. You can put a plastic bag over the top if you want to and secure it with a rubber band, but try to make sure the cutting stays away from the plastic. This makes more humidity which cuttings like. (generally speaking)
1711582430975.png
This was the best I could find:) Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Cuttings, angle cut, dipped in hormone powder, put in a medium size pot with good soil, push finger down middle of soil, gently put the powder coated cutting down in hole and pack soil about. Set pot in a tray of water for for one day with plastic bag over. 2nd day set pot out of water. 4th day remove the plastic bag. 5th day and so on keep pots in a protected area outside, some sun, some shade, and just wait. In a couple months you may see some little white roots at the bottom. Leave in pot for several more months until pot is really full of roots. Then find a place in the ground.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for taking the time ❤️
It was a pleasure :)
Cuttings, angle cut, dipped in hormone powder, put in a medium size pot with good soil, push finger down middle of soil, gently put the powder coated cutting down in hole and pack soil about. Set pot in a tray of water for for one day with plastic bag over. 2nd day set pot out of water. 4th day remove the plastic bag. 5th day and so on keep pots in a protected area outside, some sun, some shade, and just wait. In a couple months you may see some little white roots at the bottom. Leave in pot for several more months until pot is really full of roots. Then find a place in the ground.
When I worked in the propagation house at the nursery, we decided that hormone rooting powder was actually a waste of time and money. Once it is exposed to the air it starts to lose its viability, and it needed to be thrown away if left in the tray for more than half a day. We decided to do an experiment, and treated a thousand or so cuttings with it, and another couple of thousand of the same species and variety without it at all.
The results were the same in each section. Then we decided that it was just a fad, and that we would no longer use it. Spending unnecessary money under the circumstances was a bad idea.
Cutting the base of the cutting material with a slanting cut is definitely not the way I was taught, and standing cuttings in a tray of water is just asking for them to rot off. If you use a plastic bag, it will form conditions that create humidity from water used in the initial watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the way I do it, the hormone powder is exposed to air for 2 seconds. I dip the stem in the bag which is mostly closed with one hand. The pot with the hold in the center is ready. Then quickly I move the stem to the hole and pat in place the soil.

Ask a Question